On 29 May 2018 at 17:47, Tim <xxxxxx@little-possums.net> wrote:
On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 11:27:34AM +0100, Timothy Collinson wrote:
> Anyway, part of the plot revolves around Essentialists (who think the
> Federation has become soft/decadent) affecting the weather to cause rain
> (and make the tourists go home) using a handheld device.  Later on they
> cause earthquakes the same way.  I don't think there was an explanation of
> the latter as regards 'weather control' although I was so unengaged with
> the episode I might have missed it and I've forgotten the double-talk given
> for the gadget, but I thought I'd mention it in case anyone finds it a
> helpful reference.

If I recall, the episode stated that Risa was a tectonically unstable
planet as well as having horrible natural weather, and the bad guys
just turned off the systems keeping it pleasant.

Yes, that sounds like it's right.  It's almost worth watching again for Vanessa Williams playing the guest role (I knew it was bugging me where I knew her from - Wilhemina in _Ugly Betty_!) and for Worf being so starchy (especially at the start when his romantic getaway with Dax is being invaded by first Bashir and then Quark), but I need to move on.  Too much tv, too little time...

I'm still not sure I want to visit Risa if their idea of a nice beach is a windswept dirty one as shown at the end...

Maybe I'm just jealous.

tc