I suspect a lot of it is related to the fact that we 'colonists' don't really have that much to 'look back' at that's post-'Stone Age'.
Heck, considering the USA, in the OTU, the first colonists would've arrived a little after 800 or so.
For 'Oz & NZ, much later.

From: Cian Witherspoon <xxxxxx@gmail.com>
To: xxxxxx@simplelists.com
Sent: Monday, September 10, 2018 11:12 AM
Subject: Re: [TML] Vast ancient site built by equal society

Archeology is a great plot hook for me. In fact, when World of Warcraft came out with archeological content, I started playing for a bit. So that tells you how much I would love to get a degree in it.
But anyways, Traveller, and the OTU Show how much archeological opportunity was missed by Marc and the other writers- just look at how much of the history is recorded, with only the Ancients remaining mysterious.
I mean, we don’t see trade in First Imperium artifacts very much, or digs focused on uncovering day to day survival during the Long Night. I mean, look at the records gap between the fall of the Roman Empire and the early 11th century (even church records are a bit spotty), then multiply that by thousands of world multiplied by thousands of little details that never got recorded.

But this is why IMTU there were tons of semi-mysterious past empires and archeology is actually one of the main sources of scientific knowledge.
-----
The Traveller Mailing List
Archives at http://archives.simplelists.com/tml
Report problems to xxxxxx@simplelists.com
To unsubscribe from this list please go to
http://www.simplelists.com/confirm.php?u=EwREIRgLK8vaUEhNlnoNdSGKwnjoID8a