Re: [TML] (ot? ..mm.. schmaybe) Random thoughts... (updates to Traveller rules?) Jeff Zeitlin 26 Jan 2019 00:00 UTC

It had to have been written in the '70s; that was the era of the Vignelli
map - the maps predating that one and postdating it were closer to being
geographically accurate; the Vignelli map was very abstract, in all
horizontal, vertical, and 45-degree diagonals, no curves, each line its own
color - see https://images.google.com/search?q=vignelli+subway+map.
Vignelli claimed to have been inspired/influenced by the TfL tube map for
London and surrounds https://tfl.gov.uk/maps/track/tube.

On Fri, 25 Jan 2019 00:41:43 -0500, Richard Aiken <xxxxxx@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Thu, Jan 24, 2019 at 3:37 PM Bruce Johnson <xxxxxx@pharmacy.arizona.edu>
>wrote:
>
>> It has almost no actual correlation with ‘ground truth’ other than the
>> names of the stations. IIRC there’s two stations on opposite sides of the
>> map, that are across the street from each other in ‘real life’? (this may
>> actually be an example from another subway system)
>>

>I remember reading a time-travel story in which a character from a couple
>of centuries in the past is standing on a New York subway platform, smugly
>congratulating himself on finally - after six months - having figured out
>the system map . . .
>
>[Wish I could remember *anything* else about the story . . . <sigh>]

®Traveller is a registered trademark of
Far Future Enterprises, 1977-2018. Use of
the trademark in this notice and in the
referenced materials is not intended to
infringe or devalue the trademark.

--
Jeff Zeitlin, Editor
Freelance Traveller

Freelance Traveller extends its thanks to the following
enterprises for hosting services:

onCloud/CyberWeb Enterprises (http://www.oncloud.io)
The Traveller Downport (http://www.downport.com)