What is the speed of the X-Boat network? Christopher Sean Hilton (08 Apr 2019 16:51 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? Alex Goodwin (10 Apr 2019 16:33 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? Bruce Johnson (10 Apr 2019 18:59 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? Fred Kiesche (10 Apr 2019 19:06 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? Catherine Berry (10 Apr 2019 21:11 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? Fred Kiesche (10 Apr 2019 22:03 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? Bruce Johnson (10 Apr 2019 22:38 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? Phil Pugliese (10 Apr 2019 23:19 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? Catherine Berry (10 Apr 2019 23:49 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? Rupert Boleyn (11 Apr 2019 05:22 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? Phil Pugliese (12 Apr 2019 01:50 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? Vareck Bostrom (11 Jun 2020 03:16 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? kaladorn@xxxxxx (11 Jun 2020 20:21 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? Vareck Bostrom (11 Jun 2020 20:48 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? kaladorn@xxxxxx (11 Jun 2020 21:17 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? Postmark (11 Jun 2020 22:40 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? Thomas RUX (12 Jun 2020 02:04 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? Postmark (12 Jun 2020 07:58 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? Thomas RUX (12 Jun 2020 23:03 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? Postmark (13 Jun 2020 00:32 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? Thomas RUX (13 Jun 2020 15:59 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? Rupert Boleyn (14 Jun 2020 04:04 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? Thomas RUX (14 Jun 2020 21:05 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? Thomas RUX (17 Jun 2020 02:41 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? Postmark (19 Jun 2020 12:16 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? Postmark (19 Jun 2020 12:30 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? Thomas RUX (19 Jun 2020 15:14 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? Thomas RUX (20 Jun 2020 03:44 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? Postmark (22 Jun 2020 12:42 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? kaladorn@xxxxxx (22 Jun 2020 18:15 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? Thomas RUX (22 Jun 2020 21:45 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? Thomas RUX (22 Jun 2020 23:04 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? Postmark (27 Jun 2020 20:54 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? Thomas RUX (27 Jun 2020 22:54 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? kaladorn@xxxxxx (12 Jun 2020 03:33 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? Postmark (12 Jun 2020 08:13 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? Catherine Berry (13 Jun 2020 00:26 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? Rupert Boleyn (13 Jun 2020 01:14 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? kaladorn@xxxxxx (13 Jun 2020 01:29 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? Rupert Boleyn (13 Jun 2020 02:02 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? kaladorn@xxxxxx (13 Jun 2020 08:38 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? Rupert Boleyn (13 Jun 2020 08:45 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? kaladorn@xxxxxx (13 Jun 2020 15:13 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? kaladorn@xxxxxx (13 Jun 2020 01:25 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? Jeff Zeitlin (13 Jun 2020 15:40 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? Rupert Boleyn (12 Jun 2020 02:29 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? kaladorn@xxxxxx (12 Jun 2020 03:15 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? Rupert Boleyn (12 Jun 2020 05:34 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? Vareck Bostrom (12 Jun 2020 05:36 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? kaladorn@xxxxxx (12 Jun 2020 08:22 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? kaladorn@xxxxxx (12 Jun 2020 09:26 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? Thomas RUX (12 Jun 2020 23:10 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? Kurt Feltenberger (12 Jun 2020 23:19 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? kaladorn@xxxxxx (13 Jun 2020 01:15 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? Kurt Feltenberger (13 Jun 2020 01:29 UTC)
Re: [TML] What is the speed of the X-Boat network? Thomas RUX (13 Jun 2020 03:20 UTC)

--

Chris,

Per GURPS Traveller (GT) 2nd ed, p31,

"In practice, this speed is reduced by the fact that trade routes do not
follow straight lines and that not all jumps are made at jump-4.
Nonetheless, the system achieves approximately jump-2.6 per week."

I think i've seen that J2.6 figure in non-GT sources as well, but I
wouldn't swear to it.

1 - I'm a little confused as to why the Xboat station wouldn't handle
fuel refining (as other military and civilian starports of class C/III
and better tend to do) and let the tender move Xboats, Xboat drivers and
fuel around.

As to where xboat stations get placed would probably depend on a whole
mix of factors (sorry, I know you were wanting more specifics) such as
high noble politics, interservice politics, strategic need (such as
gap-filling), and shifts in trade patterns, to name 4.

It's been a fair while since I looked at the guts of traveller_pyroute,
so I couldn't tell you how it generates them.  You could look up how
pyroute does it and then back-fit reasons as to why Bargleargle won out
over Fnordia - and whether those reasons are solid, wonky,
used-to-be-sensible-but-now-outdated or outright pants-on-head.

IIRC, Bill Cameron's Wounded Colossus ATL (up at Freelance Traveller,
again IIRC) did spend some time on this as well.

2 - I think your question here is a little underspecified - are you
talking about how often Xboats visit Arglebargle inbound from _all
reachable systems_ or from _Bargleargle only_ ? (Your comments seem to
be leaning towards the latter, assuming I have read them correctly).
Bi-weekly service from each of 4 systems inbound to Arglebargle would
trivially average out to 2x a week, frinstance.  Off top of my head, I'd
suspect trade volume would be a major driver of Xboat frequency.  To
claim that a system that has megaton freighters jumping in and out
around-the-clock (such as in the older, richer parts of the Rim of Fire)
but can only manage 1 xboat a fortnight would tend to stretch belief.

3 - Going from GT: First In, p12, the Communications Office of the IISS
keeps the mail moving.  The XBoat service (surprise surprise) handles
the Xboats, while the Imperial Courier Service takes over once the
messages/packages have to leave the XBoat network, as well as people and
gubbins that (for whatever reason) can't go by XBoat.

The sidebar on p12 of GT:FI also mentions that "Messages are transmitted
to a waiting Xboat, which jumps to the next system down the line.  Upon
arrival, it immediately transmits its messages to the local Xboat
station, which records them and rebroadcasts them to other Xboats for
the next leg of the trip.  Meanwhile, the Xboat is picked up by a tender
for refuelling, maintenance and crew rotation."

GT: Starports also feels a need to weigh in on p13:

"Xboat stations are usually located at the edge of a star system, well
away from the gravity wells of worlds and stars. They always possess
powerful communications equipment, both radio and tight-beam, for
receiving and transmitting hundreds of communiques simultaneously. This
makes any Xboat station among the very first targets when a system is
invaded"