Re: [TML] Article Solicitation: Religion Ian Stuart McTaggart (23 Apr 2019 02:40 UTC)
Re: [TML] Article Solicitation: Religion Bruce Johnson (23 Apr 2019 21:42 UTC)

Re: [TML] Article Solicitation: Religion Ian Stuart McTaggart 23 Apr 2019 02:39 UTC

Sure enough I was just joking last week with some friends about a Traveller® religion. I had come up with a religion based on a combination of foodie culture and the rediscovery of the ancient Solomani Judaic scriptures. I postulated to the friend that the new religion has arisen on a wealthy, high-tech world when adventurers brought an old copy of the Talmud from an off planet archeological site located in Solomani space, and it was adopted by some elites, who, being foodies, fixated on the kosher requirements. Soon enough, after a bit of retooling to fit the locally available dietary items, it became a hit, and was successfully exported to other worlds.

An adaptable belief system, Kosharism holds as it's main tenet that consumption is the most sacred act a sophont can perform, and that consuming holier food and drink renders the act more sacred still. The primary rituals are, obviously, feasts, which are strictly controlled by the priesthood in terms of content, place, and time. The priesthood, part meritocracy and part inherited (through a "legacy" system), is secretive and powerful. Religious texts are often a kind of cookbook/prayer book hybrid, with complex rituals around both the sourcing and preparation of food. A sign of divine favor, particularly among the clergy, is obesity, though not to such an extent that immobility is risked; such a level of pulchritude is considered a failing, and is referred to as having "gorged".

Anyway that's as far as I had gotten!

I will be interested in seeing what y'all come up with, as this group has no lack of creative talent!

😇

On April 22, 2019, at 6:19 PM, Jeff Zeitlin <xxxxxx@freelancetraveller.com> wrote:

On Mon, 22 Apr 2019 16:55:47 -0700, Zane Healy <xxxxxx@avanthar.com>
wrote:

>> On Apr 19, 2019, at 8:19 PM, Jeff Zeitlin <xxxxxx@freelancetraveller.com> wrote:
>>
>> Official Traveller material has generally kept away from religion in the
>> game, for very good reason - it can be a touchy subject, and if not handled
>> well, can destroy a game, or a gaming group.

>Somehow this seems like a good thread for me to jump back in on.  I finally
>figured out why I haven’t been getting TML emails, when the list changed
>servers, I obviously got dropped.  I finally found my way back last week.

In which case, a hearty 'welcome back'!

>Touchy subject…  That’s something of an understatement.  I learned that
>about 25 years ago on this list. :-)

It's virtually an aphorism that two things you don't discuss with friends
(if you want them to stay friends) are politics and religion. And in this
day and age, at least in the US, they can be one and the same.

But here, I'm not asking people to opine on religion; I'm asking for
'scholarly' articles about it. Careful handling and avoidance of 'loaded'
descriptions _should_ make it workable.

>It seems to me that at least four Earth religions would likely have
>survived in some form.  I feel that this should be included, but treated
>with care

I expect that more than four Terrestrial religions would likely survive -
and some would be 'revived' as well - but how would they be changed by easy
interstellar travel, by contact with non-Earth people who are as human as
we are (as in take them to bed and make babies with them), and by contact
with non-humans (who are _also_ as human as we are, in the sense of being
_ramen_ in Orson Scott Card's "Hierarchy of Foreignness")?

>           Does anyone remember a Sci-Fi episode from the mid-80’s, I think
>it was the Twilight Zone remake, about a Priest onboard a Starship
>exploring the universe.  They find a dead world whose star had gone out,
>and the Priest realizes this star would have been the one leading the Wise
>Men to Jerusalem for Christ’s birth.

That's based on an older story, from the so-called Golden Age of SF. A
little work with Google (q=dead+world+star+of+bethlehem), and the first hit
is the Wikipedia entry for "The Star", by Arthur C. Clarke
(<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Star_(Clarke_short_story)>) (first pub
1955 Infinity Science Fiction, Hugo winner 1956, reprinted in collection
_The Other Side of the Sky_ [which is where I most likely read it], and in
Short Story International issue 1965 Jan.).

It was later dramatized as the Christmas episode of the 1985 revival of TZ,
which is likely what you're thinking of.

The original text can (but probably shouldn't) be found at
<https://web.archive.org/web/20080718084442/http://lucis.net/stuff/clarke/star_clarke.html>.

>Thinking back on the Traveller background you’ll have religions that have
>sprung up around the Ancients.  Probably a few cults as well.  Might even
>be good to have a paragraph touching on how a cult differs from a religion.

That last is a _really_ touchy subject; even with straight up language,
it's often possible to reasonably read "definitions" of 'cults' to apply to
mainstream religions, and there are ... let me use the term 'faith
organizations' ... that are generally agreed to be 'cults', but which
litigate whenever they are publicly so described.

As far as Ancient worship, sure, why not? Write it.

>When in the timeline are you looking at?  Or is this ignoring the timeline?
>Worlds settled by other worlds, but which have sunk to below TL4 and stayed
>there for a good period of time have a real potential for religions based
>on legends around their founding.  I’m vaguely reminded of the Star Trek
>episode, “For the World is Hollow, and I have touched the sky”.

Any and all of the above are fair game; with ostensibly 11,000 worlds, many
of which will not be monocultures, and more than a few of which will have
significant non-human populations, there's plenty of room for virtually
anything.

There's also the question of how a religion (or religions) in isolation -
say, on a "lost" generation ship - will change (or not change) and be
perceived when the ship is found...

®Traveller is a registered trademark of
Far Future Enterprises, 1977-2018. Use of
the trademark in this notice and in the
referenced materials is not intended to
infringe or devalue the trademark.

--
Jeff Zeitlin, Editor
Freelance Traveller

Freelance Traveller extends its thanks to the following
enterprises for hosting services:

onCloud/CyberWeb Enterprises (http://www.oncloud.io)
The Traveller Downport (http://www.downport.com)
-----
The Traveller Mailing List
Archives at http://archives.simplelists.com/tml
Report problems to xxxxxx@simplelists.com
To unsubscribe from this list please go to
http://www.simplelists.com/confirm.php?u=InaaccMKft5iBr2mQk24VAHvjoyuczgt