"Called" Pattern Dancing? Jeff Zeitlin (11 Apr 2019 01:09 UTC)
Re: [TML] "Called" Pattern Dancing? Michael Houghton (11 Apr 2019 01:33 UTC)
Re: [TML] "Called" Pattern Dancing? Timothy Collinson (11 Apr 2019 10:21 UTC)
Re: [TML] "Called" Pattern Dancing? Bruce Johnson (11 Apr 2019 21:20 UTC)
Re: [TML] "Called" Pattern Dancing? Thomas RUX (12 Apr 2019 04:51 UTC)
Re: [TML] "Called" Pattern Dancing? Bruce Johnson (12 Apr 2019 17:47 UTC)
Re: [TML] "Called" Pattern Dancing? Thomas RUX (13 Apr 2019 02:47 UTC)
Re: [TML] "Called" Pattern Dancing? Bruce Johnson (11 Apr 2019 20:47 UTC)
Re: [TML] "Called" Pattern Dancing? Alan Peery (14 Apr 2019 12:58 UTC)
Re: [TML] "Called" Pattern Dancing? Grimmund (19 Jul 2019 13:59 UTC)

Re: [TML] "Called" Pattern Dancing? Grimmund 19 Jul 2019 13:59 UTC

Sorry, late answer, just noticed this while looking for something else.

Playford dances.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dancing_Master

English country dances, like the Playford dances, each dance is done
to a specific pattern.  Each dance is built from a tool box of basic
movements.  Everybody learns the basic movements, and then learns the
patterns for specific dances.  Knowing the pattern for a particular
dance is a social marker.  Someone may be calling instructions as the
dance goes along, but that's a memory aid for the pattern of that
dance, not improvisation.  There is some improvisation in how you
execute each movement, but no improvisation overall in the pattern of
the dance.

Most modern dances, improvisation happens with each couple.  You learn
the basic pattern (foxtrot, tango, waltz, etc.) and then you learn a
toolbox of additional moves for that pattern.  When you dance, you
improvise with your partner, using the basic pattern and the toolbox
of additional moves.  (Some people don't get far beyond the basic
pattern and a couple of additional moves.  Some people get a lot
farther.)

My impression of "called" dances is that the dancers all learn the
toolbox of basic movements, and the overall pattern is improvised.
(Caveat, square dance is not my thing.)  The "caller" is making up the
pattern of the dance as they go along, from a toolbox of basic
movements. (Square dance is sets of four couples, in a square, go
figure.  Line dance is multiple people in a line of couples, or just
in lines.)  Multiple sets of couples may be doing the same dance in
their own separate floor spaces.  There *may* be specific named
patterns, too; again, square dance is not my particular thing.

(US style country line dance is more like historic English country
dance than square dance; there are formal patterns for each dance, the
individual movements have names, and while someone may be calling,
they are calling the established pattern for the dance, not
improvising.)

--
Thegn Grimmund Blackwing, Pelican, Beare, Northshield
Dan Long, Appleton/Oshkosh/New London/Green Bay, WI

"Any sufficiently advanced parody is indistinguishable from a genuine
kook." -Alan Morgan