Re: [TML] MT: COACC Guardian-Class Orbital Battle Station Ethan McKinney (06 Jul 2019 19:52 UTC)
Re: [TML] MT: COACC Guardian-Class Orbital Battle Station Ethan McKinney (15 Jul 2019 05:52 UTC)
Re: [TML] MT: COACC Guardian-Class Orbital Battle Station Rupert Boleyn (15 Jul 2019 21:13 UTC)
Re: [TML] MT: COACC Guardian-Class Orbital Battle Station Bruce Johnson (15 Jul 2019 21:13 UTC)
Re: [TML] MT: COACC Guardian-Class Orbital Battle Station Ethan McKinney (15 Jul 2019 23:07 UTC)
Re: [TML] MT: COACC Guardian-Class Orbital Battle Station Rupert Boleyn (16 Jul 2019 01:28 UTC)
Re: [TML] MT: COACC Guardian-Class Orbital Battle Station Ethan McKinney (16 Jul 2019 21:39 UTC)
Re: [TML] MT: COACC Guardian-Class Orbital Battle Station Ethan McKinney (17 Jul 2019 14:17 UTC)
Re: [TML] MT: COACC Guardian-Class Orbital Battle Station Cian Witherspoon (19 Jul 2019 06:15 UTC)
Re: [TML] MT: COACC Guardian-Class Orbital Battle Station Bruce Johnson (19 Jul 2019 20:28 UTC)
Re: [TML] MT: COACC Guardian-Class Orbital Battle Station Cian Witherspoon (19 Jul 2019 20:38 UTC)
Re: [TML] MT: COACC Guardian-Class Orbital Battle Station Ethan McKinney (20 Jul 2019 05:08 UTC)
Re: [TML] MT: COACC Guardian-Class Orbital Battle Station Bruce Johnson (20 Jul 2019 23:06 UTC)
Re: [TML] MT: COACC Guardian-Class Orbital Battle Station Thomas RUX (21 Jul 2019 01:20 UTC)
(missing)
Re: [TML] MT: COACC Guardian-Class Orbital Battle Station Phil Pugliese (21 Jul 2019 14:39 UTC)
Re: [TML] MT: COACC Guardian-Class Orbital Battle Station Rupert Boleyn (21 Jul 2019 16:17 UTC)
Re: [TML] MT: COACC Guardian-Class Orbital Battle Station Phil Pugliese (21 Jul 2019 18:56 UTC)
Re: [TML] MT: COACC Guardian-Class Orbital Battle Station Rupert Boleyn (21 Jul 2019 05:14 UTC)
Re: [TML] MT: COACC Guardian-Class Orbital Battle Station Bruce Johnson (20 Jul 2019 23:04 UTC)

Re: [TML] MT: COACC Guardian-Class Orbital Battle Station Thomas RUX 21 Jul 2019 01:20 UTC

Howdy Bruce,

> On July 20, 2019 at 4:04 PM Bruce Johnson <xxxxxx@Pharmacy.Arizona.EDU> wrote:
> The problem is that all of the Traveller design sequences are woefully deficient regarding the
> state of automation even for the time they were published.

MT does, in my opinion, deal with automation by using a computer. The higher the CP Multiplier the fewer control panels needed which reduces the crew requirements. TNE FF&S Step 9 p. 13 uses a similar format as MT, though I did not find any mention of automation. T4 FF&S p. 71 Controls discusses automation.

> The description of the stations clearly indicates that it’s essentially a cheap, throwaway ‘missile
> launcher “mine”', shooting at anything it ‘sees’ that doesn’t broadcast the right IFF signal. It’s
> essentially an armed satellite with target acquisition attached.

I agree that the Guardian is an orbital missile platform that is provided information via a data link from a control station located somewhere else.

> The ship design sequences you’re using create it are for manned spacecraft.

CT Striker Book 3 Design Sequence 10: Drone Missiles and Vehicles use the construction procedures for designing manned vehicles modified by the requirement of having drone brains. The remotely controlled vehicles in TNE FF&S are also designed using the manned vehicle design sequences, however the RCVs have the same crew requirement as a manned vehicle.

> A crew requirement makes it not automated, but merely remote controlled, like a drone. It has a
> crew, but the space and life support requirements are greatly relaxed, and they get to sleep at
> home at night :-)

I consider the crew requirement in this case to be the personnel needed to pull maintenance and reload the missiles that have been used or have failed testing by the computer and need to tested and repaired or replaced.

>> On July 20, 2019 at 4:06 PM Bruce  Johnson <xxxxxx@Pharmacy.Arizona.EDU> wrote:

>>> On Jul 20, 2019, at 4:36 AM, Thomas RUX <xxxxxx@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Lastly, the Craft design procedure highly recommends all non-starships have a locomotion systems. A locomotion system to operate within a planetary system is an option.
>
> The craft design sequence you are using are for human-manned ships.

The craft design sequence is the basic building block for any craft being built. A satellite needs a power source and the electronics needed to perform its designed task. Some satellites have thrusters or gyroscopes to help with positioning maneuvers ordered from a control stations.

> This is essentially a satellite. It might have some sort of positional maneuvering ability, but it’s transported and placed in orbit by an external vehicle.

From the write up the orbital battle station is an unmanned craft which can be covered by the description of being a satellite. The craft can be built with the existing craft design procedure with modifications that, in my opinion, should be annotated in the UCP's Other block.

Thank you for your replies and continued help.

Tom Rux