Re: [TML] Where the UPP fails me... cnl.rubicon@juno.com 01 May 2020 18:03 UTC

From: xxxxxx@gmail.com Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2020 04:38:43 -0400

Greetings Tom,

>Thanks! I like your extensions, though to my embarrassment,
>I'd have to look up about half the entries H or higher.

Mega-structures have always been interesting to me.

>I see your sig mentions 'The Core Route Projects' - is there
>a website for that?

Once upon a time, I had it on the web, but the free web host(s) discontinued services and thus it was gone. Yes, I still have backups.

>One protocol thing that all of the UPP/USP/etc. Traveller has come
>up with lacks is extensibility inherent in the base model. An
>example would be that when you went to define starport or atmo or
>whatever, they could have reserved a value of X to say "following
>the standard UPP, there will be an extension block that defines
>this characteristic'" to cover all of the odd cases that hadn't been
>thought of yet. Many communications protocols have some
>extensibility built into them to help handle future-proofing.

My take is that the UWP is a set of generic codes for quick reference, if you want the details then check the full description for that world.

For example: Lanaas 1414 B9A9453-F A Fl Ni 904 Im K0V
This is the standard quick reference entry found in any ships navigation file across the Imperium.

My Landgrab system write up, if printed out on 11x17 paper, covers 24 pages with 42,993 words, with charts, illustrations, and photos.

And my detail goes deep, here is the Primary Star
Name: Kaepii
Type: K0
Size: V - Main Sequence
Color: Red-Orange
Magnitude: 5.70
Luminosity: 0.294
Temp: 4,972 K (4,698.85 C / 8,489.93 F)
Radii: 514,159 km
Mass: 0.825 suns (1.64051E+30 kg)
Stellar Age: ~700,000,000 years
Surface Gravity: 414 m/s^2
Rotational Period: 19.1 days

That, I believe, is the "extensibility" that you were looking for.

>Tom B

In Service,
Clifford Linehan
The Core Route Projects

He Created the 'Greatest Icon in Automotive History'
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5eac64c99093964c952c6st01vuc1
Bill Gates Offers His Own Time Range for Vaccine
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5eac64c9b48ee64c952c6st01vuc2
Biden Goes on the Record About Tara Reade Accusation
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/5eac64c9d7ad964c952c6st01vuc3