Parental Advisory - The Group (was: Campaign writeups) Alex Goodwin (18 May 2020 14:47 UTC)
Re: [TML] Parental Advisory - The Group (was: Campaign writeups) Timothy Collinson (18 May 2020 15:46 UTC)
Re: [TML] Parental Advisory - The Group (was: Campaign writeups) Timothy Collinson (19 May 2020 08:24 UTC)
ObTrav (was: Parental Advisory - The Group) David Johnson (19 May 2020 14:32 UTC)
Re: [TML] ObTrav (was: Parental Advisory - The Group) kaladorn@xxxxxx (19 May 2020 15:58 UTC)
Re: [TML] ObTrav (was: Parental Advisory - The Group) Phil Pugliese (19 May 2020 19:36 UTC)
Re: [TML] Parental Advisory - The Group (was: Campaign writeups) Timothy Collinson (19 May 2020 07:59 UTC)
Re: [TML] Parental Advisory - The Group (was: Campaign writeups) Timothy Collinson (19 May 2020 11:13 UTC)
Re: [TML] Parental Advisory - The Group (was: Campaign writeups) Michael Houghton (19 May 2020 11:37 UTC)
Re: [TML] Parental Advisory - The Group Alan Peery (19 May 2020 12:09 UTC)
Re: [TML] Parental Advisory - The Group Timothy Collinson (19 May 2020 13:19 UTC)

Re: [TML] Parental Advisory - The Group (was: Campaign writeups) Michael Houghton 19 May 2020 11:36 UTC

Howdy!

On Tue, May 19, 2020 at 7:13 AM Timothy Collinson - timothy.collinson
at port.ac.uk (via tml list) <xxxxxx@simplelists.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 19 May 2020 at 11:50, Jeff Zeitlin <xxxxxx@freelancetraveller.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 19 May 2020 08:58:57 +0100, Timothy Collinson - timothy.collinson
>> at port.ac.uk (via tml list) <xxxxxx@simplelists.com> wrote to Freelance
>> Traveller:

>> >Well it is!
>>
>> Even in the dense eastern states, 100-150 miles is considered viable for a
>> day trip - it's not at all unusual, for example, for civil service unions
>> in NYC to arrange a day trip to Albany NY (closer to 150 miles than 100
>> miles) to lobby the state legislature for some bit of favored legislation.
>> Board the (chartered) busses in Manhattan at 8 AM, be in Albany around 11
>> AM, lobby, lunch, more lobby, board the busses back to NYC around 3 PM,
>> debark in Manhattan where you started around 6 PM.

Here in the DC area, my commute (when I was still going in to the office daily)
is 40-50 miles each way. That's an hour to an hour and a half (and up) each
way. Four days a week. I'm not missing that. And my commute is not particularly
notable.

> I have done day trips like that, but mother-in-law is exactly 100 miles away (well, 97 on one car odometer, 100 on another) and we wouldn't think of anything less than a weekend there (i.e. Friday evening to Sunday afternoon).
>
> As I get older (or perhaps just tireder) I even think twice about that.  Although it may not be an issue for much longer if MiL's proposed moved to a flat (apartment) on the beach about two miles from home finally gets going again after lockdown.
>
> Of course, the downside of that is MiL being just two miles away... ;-)
>
> As for older daughter not only Cornwall but at the far end of Cornwall [1], she might as well be in another country.  (Indeed, given language and flags, perhaps she is.)  It's 'only' - as it happens! - the same 225 miles but is a five hour drive at best and can be 7 or 8 in summer traffic (my wife's record is 9 hours on a trip with three major holdups/accidents - I was so glad I missed that one).  We've done it (once I think) as an 'overnight' but never in a day and more usually expect to go for nothing less than a long weekend (like Thursday to Tuesday).  The driving is very unpleasant.  (Much of it single lane, busy, and slow.)  Though there is a lovely segment across Exmoor where we get both lovely scenery and our satnav record of "next turn" being 80 miles distant.  I'll bet Americans and Antipodeans can easily beat that last however.

While a sane GPS won't note every opportunity to turn that you aren't taking
(and there are stupid ones out there), even on limited access highways,
opportunities to turn are usually within ten miles or so. The longest stretch
between exits on any highway in the United States is 36 miles, and that's
between the Bedford and Somerset exits on the Pennsylvania turnpike.

yours,
Michael

--
Michael Houghton   | Herveus d'Ormonde