Re: [TML] ATV system schematic Evyn Gutierrez (06 Jul 2020 22:36 UTC)
Re: [TML] ATV system schematic Timothy Collinson (07 Jul 2020 07:54 UTC)
Re: [TML] ATV system schematic Thomas RUX (07 Jul 2020 13:56 UTC)
Re: [TML] ATV system schematic Timothy Collinson (07 Jul 2020 14:00 UTC)
Re: [TML] ATV system schematic Thomas RUX (07 Jul 2020 14:24 UTC)
Re: [TML] ATV system schematic Timothy Collinson (07 Jul 2020 15:09 UTC)
Re: [TML] ATV system schematic Thomas RUX (07 Jul 2020 15:44 UTC)
Re: [TML] ATV system schematic Timothy Collinson (07 Jul 2020 15:51 UTC)
Re: [TML] ATV system schematic Thomas RUX (07 Jul 2020 16:10 UTC)
Re: [TML] ATV system schematic Timothy Collinson (07 Jul 2020 16:15 UTC)
Re: [TML] ATV system schematic Jeffrey Schwartz (07 Jul 2020 17:47 UTC)
Re: [TML] ATV system schematic Thomas RUX (08 Jul 2020 02:40 UTC)
Re: [TML] ATV system schematic kaladorn@xxxxxx (08 Jul 2020 02:26 UTC)
Re: [TML] ATV system schematic Rupert Boleyn (08 Jul 2020 10:55 UTC)
Re: [TML] ATV system schematic Timothy Collinson (08 Jul 2020 13:00 UTC)
Re: [TML] ATV system schematic Rupert Boleyn (08 Jul 2020 17:00 UTC)
Re: [TML] ATV system schematic Timothy Collinson (08 Jul 2020 19:07 UTC)

On 08Jul2020 1426, xxxxxx@gmail.com wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 7, 2020 at 3:55 AM Timothy Collinson - timothy.collinson
> at port.ac.uk <http://port.ac.uk> (via tml list) <xxxxxx@simplelists.com
> <mailto:xxxxxx@simplelists.com>> wrote:
>

>     Many thanks for the responses everyone.  Really helpful. Rather
>     than reply to every email separately, I've taken the liberty of
>     putting the shorter ones into one response.  I hope that's ok.
>

>     >Is the energy storage batteries, or microfusion plant?
>
>     >In the latter case, Starter applies.
>
>     >Although, there's a "Start" button in Tesla's, which tells the
>     car computer you're ready to start
>
>     >driving.
>
>     JTAS 3 is quite clear: it says “energy storage system” – so I’ve
>     presumed a stonking battery.Although perhaps “one” under the floor
>     plates of
>
>     the ATV and spread out (a bit like HMS Alliance, a WWII submarine
>     you can visit about five miles from my home).
>

> Well, you'd still want it to be easily replaceable. But having
> individual cells scattered around the lower chassis could make sense.
> It would help keep weight distribution on different wheels more even
> (batteries are heavy) and it would help keep weight on the low side
> (less rollover risk) and it would make them potentially accessible
> from the outside (may have to remove a wheel & rim or something).
> Separate cells might fail out at differing rates which means you could
> do piece-wise replacement rather than replacing one expensive battery
> (Ford Escape Hybrid - $7K US for a replacement battery, lifespan 7
> years about).
> TomB
Having embraced heresy (GURPS 4e), I use the write-up in 4e's Ultra-Tech
as it has a 'wheeled ATV' that is suspiciously like a good old Traveller
wheeled ATV. I uses two large (200 lb) powercells to power everything
including the eight wheels, each with their own electric motor. It has a
solar power array as backup, which is noted as being able to power
everything except the motors. Presumably if you left everything turned
off the solar array could slowly recharge the powercells, and in a
developed area you'd just plug in for a recharge or yank the cells out
and swap them.

--
Rupert Boleyn <xxxxxx@gmail.com>