Re: [TML] Refuelling Apparatus Evyn Gutierrez (14 Jul 2020 02:06 UTC)
Re: [TML] Refuelling Apparatus kaladorn@xxxxxx (14 Jul 2020 06:26 UTC)
Re: [TML] Refuelling Apparatus Timothy Collinson (14 Jul 2020 08:46 UTC)
Re: [TML] Refuelling Apparatus Ethan McKinney (15 Jul 2020 18:10 UTC)
Re: [TML] Refuelling Apparatus kaladorn@xxxxxx (15 Jul 2020 18:53 UTC)
Re: [TML] Refuelling Apparatus Timothy Collinson (15 Jul 2020 19:56 UTC)
Re: [TML] Refuelling Apparatus Rupert Boleyn (15 Jul 2020 23:11 UTC)
Re: [TML] Refuelling Apparatus Thomas RUX (16 Jul 2020 02:19 UTC)
Re: [TML] Refuelling Apparatus Rupert Boleyn (16 Jul 2020 02:23 UTC)
Re: [TML] Refuelling Apparatus Thomas RUX (16 Jul 2020 12:37 UTC)
Re: [TML] Refuelling Apparatus Ethan McKinney (16 Jul 2020 20:52 UTC)
Re: [TML] Refuelling Apparatus Thomas RUX (16 Jul 2020 21:42 UTC)
Re: [TML] Refuelling Apparatus Ethan McKinney (17 Jul 2020 00:57 UTC)

Re: [TML] Refuelling Apparatus Evyn Gutierrez 14 Jul 2020 02:05 UTC

So many hours of my youth spent on a Fun-Reps station. Actually I frequently got stuck on the phone/distance line which was a manually tensioned line. A bunch of sailors on both ships doing a long distance tugofwar... Each station is basically a winch and some ground tackle, fuel is a 12 inch tube with fueling probe on the end. (Think of a aircrafts fueling probe)

Cargo stations have a couple of wenches one for tension line and one cargo shuttle which uses cargo nets to transfer pallitized cargo.

Note one of the rites of passage for officers was to be transferred via a manual high line how wet the said officer gets in the process depends how well he is liked by his crew.

On July 13, 2020, at 07:16, Thomas RUX <xxxxxx@comcast.net> wrote:

Hi Rupert,
> On 07/13/2020 6:29 AM Rupert Boleyn <xxxxxx@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> On 14Jul2020 0108, Thomas RUX wrote:
> > Morning kaladorn,
> >
> > MgT HG 2e p. 47 "UNREP System: This is a system designed to allow for
> > replenishment and resupply of warships while in motion, and is vital
> > to the function of squadrons in unexplored or hostile systems. The
> > system includes fuel hoses, cargo transfer tubes, and other gear
> > designed to move ordnance and freight between two ships (though only
> > one of the ships is required to carry the UNREP system). Each ton
> > dedicated to the UNREP system allows transfer of 20 tons of fuel,
> > cargo, or ordnance every hour. An UNREP system costs MCr0.5 and
> > requires 1 Power per ton."
> >

> > Tom Rux

> I'd have thought the fuel would be transferable in parallel with the
> cargo and ordnance, seeing as fuel would presumably go through pipes and
> the rest would move via some kind of conveyor system.

The MgT text does not, in my opinion, provide enough information on whether or not fuel transfer was being done in parallel with cargo and ordnance or the equipment used to transfer the cargo and ordnance between ships during underway replenishment (UNREP).

My only experience with underway replenishment was on the USS Simon Lake AS-33 which used helicopters to transfer cargo while both ships where moving known as vertical replenishment or VERTREP.

However, USN boot camp, navy training films, and a number of movies and documentaries showing UNREPs have shown that fuel hoses, cargo, and ordnance being transferred at the same time. Cargo and ordnance are transferred using cables and winches.

I envision a similar system being used in MgT.

Tom Rux
-----
The Traveller Mailing List
Archives at http://archives.simplelists.com/tml
Report problems to xxxxxx@simplelists.com
To unsubscribe from this list please go to
http://www.simplelists.com/confirm.php?u=ZGoOy0Ff31YgUK5ZHazvxDCpsvvOqOSb