Balancing Uplifts and Genmods kaladorn@xxxxxx (22 Jul 2020 10:34 UTC)
Re: [TML] Balancing Uplifts and Genmods Thomas RUX (22 Jul 2020 13:43 UTC)
Re: [TML] Balancing Uplifts and Genmods Thomas Jones-Low (22 Jul 2020 15:25 UTC)
Re: [TML] Balancing Uplifts and Genmods kaladorn@xxxxxx (22 Jul 2020 17:54 UTC)
Re: [TML] Balancing Uplifts and Genmods Thomas Jones-Low (22 Jul 2020 18:48 UTC)
Re: [TML] Balancing Uplifts and Genmods Thomas RUX (22 Jul 2020 21:59 UTC)
Re: [TML] Balancing Uplifts and Genmods kaladorn@xxxxxx (23 Jul 2020 11:42 UTC)
Re: [TML] Balancing Uplifts and Genmods Jeff Zeitlin (22 Jul 2020 15:39 UTC)
Re: [TML] Balancing Uplifts and Genmods kaladorn@xxxxxx (22 Jul 2020 17:57 UTC)
Re: [TML] Balancing Uplifts and Genmods Jeffrey Schwartz (22 Jul 2020 18:27 UTC)

Re: [TML] Balancing Uplifts and Genmods Jeff Zeitlin 22 Jul 2020 15:39 UTC

Have you looked at _Tree of Life: Altrants in Clement Sector_ and _Wondrous
Menagerie: Uplifts in Clement Sector_?

On Wed, 22 Jul 2020 06:34:05 -0400, xxxxxx@gmail.com wrote:

>Genetic engineering in a somewhat transhuman setting could well include
>animals with vastly modified capacities (or something like a human imbued
>with some abilities much similar to what an animal might have). In the case
>of animals raised to sentience, that would be uplifts. Genmods (Genetic
>modifications) are the other side - humans enhance to have capabilities
>that are improvements over normal human levels of performance.
>
>I've been thinking about how to balance such entities so as to make them
>playable characters.
>
>In the enhancements column, such changed invididuals might have:
>- ability to deal with higher/lower atmospheric pressures and/or partial
>pressures of breathing gases
>- ability to handle higher/lower gravities (including zero-G)
>- better senses - sight, smell, taste, touch, hearing, kinesthetic sense,
>others
>- better physical attributes - strength, endurance, agility, speed, memory,
>etc
>- other abilities - pheremone emission, body alterations (claws, teeth,
>wings, you name it)
>
>In the limitations category, we could have:
>- weaknesses in one or two areas mentioned above
>- intolerance and prejudice, limitations on advancement
>- shorter life spans
>- perhaps subject to certain degenerations or diseases, or don't heal as
>fast
>- if their path to maturity is shorter, perhaps they get fewer background
>skills
>- if they mature sooner, aging may arrive sooner and more harshly
>- need specialized medical compared to bog standard homo sapiens sapiens
>
>The same sorts of logic might apply to cybermods. They give, but perhaps
>there are prejudices or they overclock parts of your neural system and/or
>impact your psychological wellbeing. They may also open you up to viruses
>and so on that your fleshware would never have had on its own. It is
>possible that the cost of most cybermods means the people likely to have
>them are some military careers and some operative careers. Otherwise, only
>the very rich and their mods may be more about looks or their enjoyment
>than anything that really adds to their basic capacities.
>
>Any other thoughts on advantages or disadvantages for genmods, uplifts or
>cybermoded characters?
>
>I think as with most things, the details would need to be experimented
>with. That said, any interesting options I haven't thought of could be good
>to look at, so if anyone has additional ideas, I'm glad to hear them.
>
>TomB

®Traveller is a registered trademark of
Far Future Enterprises, 1977-2020. Use of
the trademark in this notice and in the
referenced materials is not intended to
infringe or devalue the trademark.

--
Jeff Zeitlin, Editor
Freelance Traveller

Freelance Traveller extends its thanks to the following
enterprises for hosting services:

onCloud/CyberWeb Enterprises (http://www.oncloud.io)
The Traveller Downport (http://www.downport.com)