Re: [TML] Refuelling Apparatus Evyn Gutierrez (28 Jul 2020 02:49 UTC)
Re: [TML] Refuelling Apparatus Kelly St. Clair (28 Jul 2020 02:52 UTC)
Re: [TML] Refuelling Apparatus kaladorn@xxxxxx (28 Jul 2020 02:58 UTC)
Re: [TML] Refuelling Apparatus kaladorn@xxxxxx (28 Jul 2020 03:03 UTC)
Re: [TML] Refuelling Apparatus Jeff Zeitlin (28 Jul 2020 09:19 UTC)
Re: [TML] Refuelling Apparatus kaladorn@xxxxxx (28 Jul 2020 11:46 UTC)
Re: [TML] Refuelling Apparatus Phil Pugliese (31 Jul 2020 04:53 UTC)
Re: [TML] Refuelling Apparatus kaladorn@xxxxxx (31 Jul 2020 14:42 UTC)
Re: [TML] Refuelling Apparatus Phil Pugliese (04 Aug 2020 04:21 UTC)
Re: [TML] Refuelling Apparatus Jeff Zeitlin (04 Aug 2020 10:14 UTC)
Re: [TML] Refuelling Apparatus Phil Pugliese (08 Aug 2020 07:21 UTC)
Re: [TML] Refuelling Apparatus Thomas RUX (08 Aug 2020 13:56 UTC)
Re: [TML] Refuelling Apparatus kaladorn@xxxxxx (04 Aug 2020 16:16 UTC)
Re: [TML] Refuelling Apparatus Rupert Boleyn (04 Aug 2020 21:51 UTC)
Re: [TML] Refuelling Apparatus kaladorn@xxxxxx (05 Aug 2020 05:14 UTC)
Re: [TML] Refuelling Apparatus Thomas RUX (05 Aug 2020 13:42 UTC)
Re: [TML] Refuelling Apparatus kaladorn@xxxxxx (05 Aug 2020 17:09 UTC)
Re: [TML] Refuelling Apparatus Phil Pugliese (09 Aug 2020 17:52 UTC)
Re: [TML] Refuelling Apparatus Jeff Zeitlin (31 Jul 2020 18:04 UTC)
Re: [TML] Refuelling Apparatus Timothy Collinson (03 Aug 2020 11:29 UTC)
Re: [TML] Refuelling Apparatus Jeff Zeitlin (03 Aug 2020 13:43 UTC)
(missing)
(missing)
Re: [TML] Refuelling Apparatus James Catchpole (03 Aug 2020 15:06 UTC)
Re: [TML] Refuelling Apparatus kaladorn@xxxxxx (03 Aug 2020 15:43 UTC)
Re: [TML] Refuelling Apparatus Phil Pugliese (08 Aug 2020 06:55 UTC)
Re: [TML] Refuelling Apparatus Phil Pugliese (07 Aug 2020 10:57 UTC)
Re: [TML] Refuelling Apparatus Timothy Collinson (03 Aug 2020 13:52 UTC)
Re: [TML] Refuelling Apparatus Phil Pugliese (07 Aug 2020 10:52 UTC)
Re: [TML] Refuelling Apparatus Phil Pugliese (04 Aug 2020 04:41 UTC)
Re: [TML] Refuelling Apparatus Michael Houghton (28 Jul 2020 12:47 UTC)

Re: [TML] Refuelling Apparatus Jeff Zeitlin 28 Jul 2020 09:19 UTC

On Mon, 27 Jul 2020 23:03:34 -0400, xxxxxx@gmail.com wrote to Freelance
Traveller:

>By 'academy' do you mean like a military prep school?

No, the service academies in the United States are degree-granting
universities; calling them "Academies" is a matter of tradition for us.

The "United States Military Academy" (West Point, NY) generally "feeds" the
Army.

The "United States Naval Academy" (Anapolis, MD) generally "feeds" the Navy
and the Marine Corps.

The "United States Air Force Academy" (Colorado Springs, CO) generally
"feeds" the Air Force (and the new Space Force)

The "United States Coast Guard Academy" (New London, CT) generally "feeds"
the Coast Guard. It should be noted that, unlike the other service
academies, admission to the United States Coast Guard Academy does not
require that the applicant be nominated by Congress.

There is also a "United States Merchant Marine Academy" (Kings Point, NY)
which "feeds" the United States Merchant Marine, but also trains cadets
destined for other services in shipboard operations and related subjects. A
Congressional nomination is required for admission. Graduates are
commissioned as officers in the United States Naval Reserve.

>For us, Royal Military College is a degree-granting university and I've
>never heard of a military prep school here, but they may exist. If you go
>to RMC, you'll come out with a degree (my brother-in-law did Management
>Engineering and my other pal from there did Electrical/Computer Engineering
>with focus on crypto). Bryan went into the RCAF to work on F-18 related
>projects (and some other birds) and JP went to Communications (a separate
>branch from the Army) and then into civilian Crypto work (now he's
>engineering head of crypto4A). So you may have had some choices of where
>you went after RMC, but I think your degree tended to direct your service
>choice.
>
>I met some cadets from VMI and West Point at Royal Military College for a
>gaming convention (back then, mostly Harpoon and Microarmour with various
>'Soviets spill into Europe' scenarios).
>
>On Mon, Jul 27, 2020 at 10:50 PM Evyn Gutierrez <xxxxxx@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>> On July 27, 2020, at 10:20, xxxxxx@gmail.com wrote:
>>

>> >Thanks for the info, Tom.
>> >
>> >I was curious because your US commissions have a different basis than
>> ours (I believe). Our still are a 'commission from the Queen' and I think
>> yours somehow are based around Congress or some such? Your Warrant Officers
>> work a bit differently too than ours (British system) do. I'm always
>> interested in how different militaries operate as compared to the one I'm
>> more familiar with.
>> >

>> Officers receive their commission by Act of Congress.
>>
>> Also note going to a specific service academy does not mean that said
>> Casey has to enter that specific service. I.e. A graduate of the army
>> academy could apply for open ensign position. Also note there are several
>> separate military academies VMI and the Citadel are two such examples.
>>
>> Evyn
>>
>> -----
>> The Traveller Mailing List
>> Archives at http://archives.simplelists.com/tml
>> Report problems to xxxxxx@simplelists.com
>> To unsubscribe from this list please go to
>> http://archives.simplelists.com
>>
>-----
>The Traveller Mailing List
>Archives at http://archives.simplelists.com/tml
>Report problems to xxxxxx@simplelists.com
>To unsubscribe from this list please go to
>http://www.simplelists.com/confirm.php?u=wfcoddcMsNO4BxJM3qWTs4LGDbHIt4XD

®Traveller is a registered trademark of
Far Future Enterprises, 1977-2020. Use of
the trademark in this notice and in the
referenced materials is not intended to
infringe or devalue the trademark.

--
Jeff Zeitlin, Editor
Freelance Traveller

Freelance Traveller extends its thanks to the following
enterprises for hosting services:

onCloud/CyberWeb Enterprises (http://www.oncloud.io)
The Traveller Downport (http://www.downport.com)