when USN went dry Joe Coles (28 Jul 2020 13:24 UTC)
Re: [TML] when USN went dry David Shaw (28 Jul 2020 14:15 UTC)
Re: [TML] when USN went dry kaladorn@xxxxxx (28 Jul 2020 15:42 UTC)
Re: [TML] when USN went dry Timothy Collinson (28 Jul 2020 15:49 UTC)
Re: [TML] when USN went dry kaladorn@xxxxxx (28 Jul 2020 16:05 UTC)
Re: [TML] when USN went dry Jeff Zeitlin (28 Jul 2020 22:47 UTC)
Re: [TML] when USN went dry Phil Pugliese (31 Jul 2020 10:07 UTC)
Re: [TML] when USN went dry kaladorn@xxxxxx (31 Jul 2020 14:58 UTC)
Re: [TML] when USN went dry Rupert Boleyn (31 Jul 2020 18:43 UTC)
Re: [TML] when USN went dry kaladorn@xxxxxx (31 Jul 2020 19:06 UTC)
Re: [TML] when USN went dry Thomas RUX (28 Jul 2020 15:35 UTC)

Re: [TML] when USN went dry Jeff Zeitlin 28 Jul 2020 22:43 UTC

On Tue, 28 Jul 2020 11:42:09 -0400, xxxxxx@gmail.com wrote:

>Another friend was shocked by the lack of checks that people paid on the
>trams. Peter said "Well, in theory, they could ticket you, but I've been
>here several years and nobody I've ever seen got a ticket." Ed then said
>"Well, what stops people riding free?" Pete said "Because most people
>realize the prices are reasonable and we need to support public transit and
>if you can't afford it, mostly there wouldn't be a fuss. If you forget your
>money sometime or your pass, most of the time, people will pay the next
>time they get on for the unpaid ride." (Ed must have looked shifty - he did
>get checked for payment which totally had Peter rolling on the floor....)

This is starting to become a Thing in NYC; if you ride one of the city bus
lines that is designated as a "Select Bus +" route (The destination sign
says so, and is a different color from normal; the map marks the route with
its number plus "SBS"), you purchase your fare receipt from a machine at
the stop (takes cash, credit/debit card, and MetroCard), and then you board
the bus from any of the doors. At some stops, randomly, there will be an
inspector asking to see your receipt; if you have a current receipt (and
they do check dates and times), you're good; if not, the inspector writes
you a summons for $100 (Administrative code misdemeanor, "theft of
services"). I've _seen_ the checks being performed; I've never been
_checked_.

®Traveller is a registered trademark of
Far Future Enterprises, 1977-2020. Use of
the trademark in this notice and in the
referenced materials is not intended to
infringe or devalue the trademark.

--
Jeff Zeitlin, Editor
Freelance Traveller

Freelance Traveller extends its thanks to the following
enterprises for hosting services:

onCloud/CyberWeb Enterprises (http://www.oncloud.io)
The Traveller Downport (http://www.downport.com)