Looking for a reference... Jeff Zeitlin (09 Oct 2020 10:23 UTC)
Re: [TML] Looking for a reference... Timothy Collinson (09 Oct 2020 10:37 UTC)
Re: [TML] Looking for a reference... Timothy Collinson (09 Oct 2020 10:37 UTC)
Re: [TML] Looking for a reference... Jeff Zeitlin (09 Oct 2020 11:12 UTC)
Re: [TML] Looking for a reference... Phil Pugliese (09 Oct 2020 11:20 UTC)
Re: [TML] Looking for a reference... kaladorn@xxxxxx (09 Oct 2020 17:00 UTC)
Re: [TML] Looking for a reference... Timothy Collinson (09 Oct 2020 18:09 UTC)
Re: [TML] Looking for a reference... kaladorn@xxxxxx (09 Oct 2020 20:49 UTC)
Re: [TML] Looking for a reference... Timothy Collinson (09 Oct 2020 21:03 UTC)
Re: [TML] Looking for a reference... Cian Witherspoon (09 Oct 2020 21:32 UTC)
Re: [TML] Looking for a reference... Rupert Boleyn (09 Oct 2020 22:32 UTC)
Re: [TML] Looking for a reference... kaladorn@xxxxxx (09 Oct 2020 22:54 UTC)
Re: [TML] Looking for a reference... Rupert Boleyn (09 Oct 2020 23:11 UTC)
Re: [TML] Looking for a reference... Jeff Zeitlin (09 Oct 2020 23:07 UTC)
Re: [TML] Looking for a reference... Thomas Jones-Low (09 Oct 2020 11:19 UTC)
Re: [TML] Looking for a reference... Kenneth Barns (09 Oct 2020 22:11 UTC)
Re: [TML] Looking for a reference... Jeff Zeitlin (09 Oct 2020 23:22 UTC)
Re: [TML] Looking for a reference... Timothy Collinson (10 Oct 2020 06:39 UTC)

On 10Oct2020 1154, xxxxxx@gmail.com wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 9, 2020 at 6:32 PM Rupert Boleyn <xxxxxx@gmail.com
> <mailto:xxxxxx@gmail.com>> wrote:

>     For the first day or few days young and fit people would manage -
>     'light' infantry manage whilst carrying loads of their body weight or
>     so. Sleeping would be where it gets you.
>

> For guys who might average 160-180, +50% is something like 80-90
> pounds. You can carry that on the march, but that is exhausting. Also,
> recall that all your *gear* goes up by the same factor. So you get
> that 80-90 pounds of excess weight for your body, then you add +50% on
> all your gear. That's probably an aggregate total way beyond modern
> infantry's march ability. And you NEVER fight with those big packs on
> unless you are nuts ( our CF gear has an emergency breakaway option so
> you can drop down to webgear and move and fight with some chance of
> functioning).
>
> So if I'm 180 lbs and I have 40 pounds of gear (a more reasonable
> amount counting ammo, etc), then I add 110 pounds from +50% gravity.
> That's not something you'll function under for very long. Walk, maybe,
> but do much else, no. And you can't take it off at night or for a
> break. (Well, you can drop the now 60 pund gear, but you'd still
> weight 270 pounds). So no, I doubt they'd last a day. And us flabby
> people... down for the count.

I reckon in +50% gravity, a young, fit infantry type should be good for
2/1.5 - 1 = 0.33 of their body weight is gear (so a 180 pound guy would
be able to handle 60 pounds (mass) of gear), for a day or so. They'd
have real trouble in a fire-fight because dumping all their gear would
still leave them at 270 pounds, but the original discussion seemed to be
about technicians imported from off-world, not people in fire-fights.
Thus my reckoning that the sleeping, or lack thereof, when weighing far
more than normal would be what ruined them.

And yes, no argument about the overweight and unfit (let alone those
with dodgy hearts, worn out knees and hips, etc.).

>     For a simple
>     arppoximation stall speeds go up with the square root of gravity and
>     with the inverse of the root of pressure, and top speeds go down with
>     the root of both, if I'm recalling things right.
>

> Yes, provided you don't sink into what you are travelling over.
Sorry, I wasn't clear - I was largely talking about aircraft here.

>     As for ships, etc. - gravity doesn't change flotation - it
>     increases the
>     weight of the fluid just as it increases the weight of the vessel.
>

> It does not necessarily increase the flotation containment's contents.
> Could you inject more air under pressure? Maybe. But then you might
> need heavier equipment. And am I sure that water will necessarily
> compact in density to match gravity? It seems it might but maybe not.

In terms of mass, it doesn't, but nor does the ship. In terms of weight,
both increase by the same proportion. We talk about a ship's weight as
its 'displacement' because it displaces water with the same weight as
the ship has. Double the weight because of gravity, and it will displace
double the weight of water. However, the water now weighs twice as much
per unit of volume, and thus the same volume of water is displaced as at
1G and there's no change in draught.

> I can tell you that the user interface of many military systems has to
> differ from consumer systems because they need to be able to
> manipulate computer controls in a rough environment (bumpy,
> unpredictable). Now, high grav is not that, but it will make some
> types of interface useful and others not so: For instance, high G
> worlds will probably want voice command vs. trying to type or even use
> a very dense key layout. If you do have to use a key layout, it may be
> simplified. The odds of dragging a finger or palm or the tiredness of
> the arms, etc. would all play into what interface types could work.
>
> So, although gear might need to be build sturdier, it may also need to
> be redesigned for successful use.
Better arm and wrist rests, and that sort of thing, more trackballs and
finger sticks, that sort of thing, yes.

--
Rupert Boleyn <xxxxxx@gmail.com>