Re: [TML] Destroyer tonnage... Cheng Tseng (16 Sep 2014 21:27 UTC)
Re: [TML] Destroyer tonnage... shadow@xxxxxx (17 Sep 2014 05:48 UTC)

Re: [TML] Destroyer tonnage... Cheng Tseng 16 Sep 2014 21:19 UTC

> On Mon, Sep 15, 2014 at 3:36 PM, Cheng Tseng <cxt217@kennett.net> wrote:
>

> > ObTrva: I am still confused over how Traveller gets the displacement tons from the mass and vice versa, for a ship design.
>

> That's easy, dunk the hull in liquid hydrogen and that is the
> displacement volume in tons of hydrogen.
>

> >I always thought that going to a pure mass system (A la David Weber's Honor Harrington.) might be less confusing.
>
> Volume is easier to draw deckplans with..... 8-)
>
> As for webber I don't remember an tonnages in Starfire....

There was an occasion mention of ship mass in Starfire novels, but it was never used in the ship design and construction rules.  It was eased by the lack of mentions about ship dimensions.

For the Honor Harrington verse, Weber started out with a few mention of ship dimensions alongside ship mass, but eventually he went to only ship mass, due to some calculations of the ships in his books coming to the conclusion that they had to be made of smoke in order to make all the calculations work....

C.T.