More for Worldbuilding/Culturebuilding: Education Freelance Traveller (22 Sep 2014 14:19 UTC)
Re: [TML] More for Worldbuilding/Culturebuilding: Education Timothy Collinson (22 Sep 2014 20:59 UTC)
Re: [TML] More for Worldbuilding/Culturebuilding: Education Freelance Traveller (22 Sep 2014 23:52 UTC)
Re: [TML] More for Worldbuilding/Culturebuilding: Education Ian Whitchurch (23 Sep 2014 03:50 UTC)
Re: [TML] More for Worldbuilding/Culturebuilding: Education Timothy Collinson (23 Sep 2014 09:16 UTC)
Re: [TML] More for Worldbuilding/Culturebuilding: Education Bruce Johnson (23 Sep 2014 15:41 UTC)
Re: [TML] More for Worldbuilding/Culturebuilding: Education Timothy Collinson (23 Sep 2014 19:50 UTC)
Re: [TML] More for Worldbuilding/Culturebuilding: Education Timothy Collinson (23 Sep 2014 20:12 UTC)

On Sep 22, 2014, at 4:52 PM, Freelance Traveller <editor@freelancetraveller.com> wrote:

> This is a perfect illustration of what I mean above - sure, you can be
> 99% accurate in depressing keys on a keyboard, but could that program
> detect whether or not you were using the 'correct' fingers on the
> 'correct' keys, or did it merely detect that the 'correct' key was
> depressed when it was expected?

Well, that’s  kind of irrelevant. The aim in teaching a muscle-memory based skill like typing is speed and accuracy. The conventional way has proven to be the most ‘efficient’ given that the qwerty keyboard was designed to slow typists down, so the presumption is that the ‘right’ fingers are being used if the marks used to test this are being hit.

Also the earliest lessons are oriented around getting the fingers placed correctly, so if those parts have been passed satisfactorily, the presumption is that if the student is hitting the speed and accuracy benchmarks, the technique is correct.

Timothy COULD be the world’s fastest two-fingered typist, and the training program wouldn’t know, but it wouldn’t care, because it’s job was to teach him to type accurately and fast.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona