Re: [TML] Original CT LBB's scoutship vs CT HG scoutship? Andrew Long 29 Oct 2014 17:22 UTC
On 29 Oct 2014, at 16:25, Bruce Johnson wrote:
> On Oct 28, 2014, at 9:28 PM, Richard Aiken <xxxxxx@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> People always cite early 20th century tramp steamers as the model for this. But I see it more like the small sailing ships which still carried coastal trading cargoes well into the past century, particularly along the coasts and among the islands of the Mediterranean and Caribbean seas . . .
>
> Michael Palin travelled across the Arabian Sea in a dhow in his “Around the world in 80 days” documentary; might have even had a sail,this was in 1988. I expect this traffic continues today.

It does. One of the tourist sights in Dubai is to go down to the Creek on Deira-side and watch the dhows loading and unloading. They go all the way up and down the ulf and across to the sub-continent although they DO have engines, as well as sails)

Regards, Andy
--
Andrew Long
Andrew dot Long at Mac dot com