Re: [TML] CT LBB5 HG 1st ed (c)1979 - Jump Governor Kelly St. Clair 30 Oct 2014 23:50 UTC

On 10/30/2014 2:31 PM, Evyn MacDude wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 30, 2014 at 1:25 PM, Phil Pugliese (via tml list)
> <xxxxxx@simplelists.com> wrote:
>

>> Thanks for the info,
>>
>> You know, now that I've started back thru those old JTAS issues, I'm beginning to realize how much the basic 'Three LBB's'  rpg was modified 'on the fly', as it were.
>> No wonder there were continuity issues wrt the succeeding books & supplements.
>
> Now add in all the Fanzine and 3rd party stuff that was coming out at
> the same time and you can see why there is so much divergence in
> personnel Traveller Universes. Later on with the release of MT it
> wasn't such a broad stream of material.

'Twas the style of the time (he said, onion hanging from his belt), back
when this hobby of ours really was, for everyone involved, rather than
an industry.  Early D&D was in a nigh-continuous state of revision and
accretion, from the "Little Brown Books" to the pages of The Strategic
Review and its successor, The Dragon, to the hardbound tomes of first
edition Advanced D&D, which were in some sense a compilation of
everything up to that point (and then some).  There was feedback and
sometimes tension between the (often literal) schools of play, such as
the then-famous Caltech gaming group, and the original crew up in Wisconsin.

--
Kelly St. Clair