Need a campaign timeline sanity check Jeffrey Schwartz (02 Apr 2023 14:13 UTC)
Re: [TML] Need a campaign timeline sanity check Alex Goodwin (02 Apr 2023 15:21 UTC)
Re: [TML] Need a campaign timeline sanity check Jeffrey Schwartz (02 Apr 2023 15:47 UTC)
Re: [TML] Need a campaign timeline sanity check Alex Goodwin (02 Apr 2023 16:48 UTC)
Re: [TML] Need a campaign timeline sanity check Alan Peery (03 Apr 2023 09:09 UTC)
Re: [TML] Need a campaign timeline sanity check Jeffrey Schwartz (03 Apr 2023 13:03 UTC)
Classic Vilani engineering Mark Urbin (05 Apr 2023 17:37 UTC)

Re: [TML] Need a campaign timeline sanity check Jeffrey Schwartz 03 Apr 2023 13:02 UTC

On Mon, Apr 3, 2023 at 5:10 AM Alan Peery - alan.peery at
tractare.co.uk (via tml list) <xxxxxx@simplelists.com> wrote:

> On 2023-04-02 15:13, Jeffrey Schwartz - schwartz.jeffrey at gmail.com
>
> > In the short term, he build a lot of SDBs in different variations on
> > the theme, and plays around with various starship designs. He sees his
> > main priority as making Carmel safe for his people. He doesn't want to
> > rely on being left out of the loop again, and builds some couriers of
> > his own, and a few mini-swarms to support them, sort of a mini X-boat
> > network.
>
> Unless these are all drones, there's a corresponding huge effort at
> recruitment needed.  That's either training up some nearby population
> with imported trainers, or recruiting remotely with a lot of cost moving
> people in, or recruiting remotely for "local" jobs without mentioning
> that the locality in question is at the other end of a long cold sleep
> journey.  Drawback are time, cost and visibility, and an unhappy
> workforce respectively.

There's another workforce issue I'm having the Baronet worry about:
this is something that could trash half the economy of the system and
put the existing belters out of work quick... plus the few planet-side
factories.
I'm using that as part of the reason for keeping it quiet and way out
system, because he's just not sure how to implement it without ruining
the lives of his people.

I think there's a work around on the training issue. I'd added a
'public utility' for the players to make use of, and I think that'll
mitigate things for training a navy. Still need a bunch of Navy Chiefs
to hands-on things, and recruiting them during the 1118-1120 time
period's going to be an effort.