Re: Classic Vilaniengineering David Jaques-Watson 06 Apr 2023 09:24 UTC

Dear Folks –

Mark wrote:
> I was cleaning up old sig quote files which caused me to look for a
>current link to this classic example of Vilani engineering.
>
>The TL A Orrimot Logistic Ship

I’ve found the original posts from 1995.

--------------------
TNE Starships: Orrimot-class Imperial 2500t Logistics Starship TL 12
By:	Alvin Plummer <xxxxxx@sheridanc.on.ca>
	Bruce Johnson <xxxxxx@tonic.pharm.arizona.edu>
	Mark Urbin <xxxxxx@ultranet.com>
	Me! (DSS Library) <xxxxxx@babylon5.dss.gov.au >
From: xxxxxx@mpgn.com [Digest 508, 510, 512, 513, 548, 551]
Dated: Fri, 08 Dec 1995

Subject: TL C Orrimot-class Logistics ship
[Alvin's comments, 508]

Orrimot-class Imperial 2500t Logistics Starship TL 12

GENERAL DATA

Disp:	2500	Hull Armour:	10
Len:	107m	Volume:	35,000
Price:	MCr 756.483	Target:	M
Config:	Slab SL	TL:	C
Mass:	26,564/15,929

ENGINEERING DATA

Power plant:	2 x 1250 MW fusion (89 MW/hit), 1 yr duration (174 MW
surplus)
Jump:	3 (2333 kl fuel per parsec, 7000 kl total)
G-rating:	1 (2000 MW/g), CG lifters
G-turns:	30.1 (51.2 w/jfuel, 77.5 w/jfuel, cargo fuel) 332.2 kl of
fuel each G-turn
Maintenance:	1258

ELECTRONICS

Computer:	3 x st TL 12 (.4 MW)
Commo:	1000 AU Maser (.6 MW), 1000 AU Laser (.3 MW), 30,000 Radio (1 MW)
Avionics:	TL A+
Sensors:	P-EMS (30,000, .3 MW), A-EMS (3,000 km, 8 MW)
Controls:	Bridge w/11 wstations, Engineering x 29

ARMAMENT

Offensive:	5 x 120 Mj laser turret (4: 1/9-27, 8:1/9-27, 16:1/6-9,
32:1/3-9)  (Loc: 10 Arc: all 3.3 MW, 1 Crew ea.)
Defensive:	5 x sandcasters (Loc:11 Arc:All 1 MW, 1 Crew ea. 30 Cann.,
1D10x5)

ACCOMMODATIONS

Extended Life Support (4 MW, [rounded])
Crew:	53 (Engineer. 29, Man. 2, Elect. 2, Maint. 3, Gunnery 10, Command 7)
Accomo:	Sm. stateroom x 30
Facilities:	2 hamster cages (600 kl each)
Airlocks:	25
Cargo:	8,728 kl. (Usually used for fuel). Two fuel bladders: each holds
8720 kl. Folded, each takes up 436 kl. One's backup.
Sm Craft:	10 docking rings, each with a 5-ton liferaft

NOTES

Combat move:	153/6
Travel move:	3300/240

DAMAGE TABLES

Surface Area

1	1-5	Radio Ant
	6	1 Maser Ant
2		Laser
3-4		A-EMS
5		P-EMS

Damage Area

1-5		Hold (Cargo or fuel)
6-7		Hold (Fuel)
8-9	1-4	Hold (Fuel)
	5-8	Hold (Liferaft)
	9-12	Hold (Cargo/Fuel, fuel bladder 1)
	13-16	Hold (Cargo/Fuel, fuel bladder 2)
	17-20	Hold (Fuel)
10-11	1-2	Wpns (10: Laser, 11: Sandcaster)
	3-14	Eng (fuel purifier)
	15-18	Eng (CG lifter)
	19-20	Hold (Fuel)
12-15		Hold (Fuel)
16-17	1-3	Elect
	4-8	Quarters
	9-20	Hold (Fuel)
18-19	1-7	Eng (power plant #1 in 18, #2 in 19)
	8-20	Eng (jump drive)
20	1-2	Eng (HEPlaR)
	3-20	Hold (Fuel)

System Damage

Elect	Maser, Laser, Radio, A-EMS P-EMS	(1h) ant (1h)
Hold	Cargo	88H (if loaded with cargo, rather than fuel)
Quarters	Sm. Stateroom x 30	(2h) ea.
	Life Support	15H
	Emergency L.S.	7H
Engineering	Jump Drive	35H ea.
	Power Plant * 2	7H
	HEPlaR	2H
	ContraGrav	8H
	Fuel Processing	38H
Weapons	Laser x 5	1H ea.
	Sandcasters x 5	1H ea.

HISTORY

Every starfleet needs a vast number of these unglamourous ships - although
you never seem to see them in "Imperial Stars", "Strike Fleet", or any of
the other popular VR entertainment programs in the Imperium. Never mind
that: without thousands and thousands of glorified cargo barges like these,
the Imperial Navy would swiftly grind to a halt.

First built in 138, these flying bricks perfectly reflect the big, bulky and
dour design philosophy of the Vilani. They also happen to be quite capable
in their work: after all, 1000 years later they still serve in innumerable
frontier fleets, as tankers and second-tier naval logistics vessels.

In a pinch they can support Marine contingents, but lack the armour to serve
in any more hostile environment than your typical bushfire rebellion. They
also lack sufficient on-board cargo shuttles, and the Marines get to sleep
in the cargo hold - hopefully modified to house them, rather than sleeping
on the bare floor.

The Orrimot DOES at least have CG lifters, unlike most dedicated space
tankers/freighters. So it can lift off, as well as land...

These ships are rarely seen in civilian service: the two large hamster cages
used to mimic gravity are rather unpopular among merchants, and civilian
fuel stations have rendered tanker jumpships a poor economic gamble. Also,
most merchants find the additional cost to maintain the inefficient dual
fusion plants not worth the greater safety margin. And the 10 lifeboats are
SO passe, and an unnecessary expense - although the crews doesn't seem to
mind.

Alvin Plummer
"Preserve what we created, Norris, and remember what we stood for."
- Strephon, 179-1126

Subject: RE: Orrimot-class Logistics ship
[Bruce's comments, 509]

Alvin sez'

>	Every starfleet needs a vast number of these unglamourous ships...
>	These ships are rarely seen in civilian service...

Actually, since so many thousands (probably millions over the years) of them
have been made, I'd suspect that they'd be all over the place, in most
cases, modified beyond recognition. Sort of like liberty ships, or LST's
after WWII. The tramp frieghters of the spaceways...you know, the ones that
leave oil spots in your starport after they leave ;-)

Never underestimate what people will latch onto as useful transportation. If
they're so unpopular, surplus ones are dirt cheap, probably cheaper than a
free trader, maybe even cheaper than a scout, but I doubt it. This is what
are turned into banana boats, or copra freighters, or those freighters that
ply the truly poor backwaters of the Imperium.

I almost got to live in a LST (Landing Ship-Tank) that had been converted to
a coastal frieghter that had been converted to an oyster boat that had been
converted to a houseboat; but it would have meant living in New York Harbour
during the winter....yeeeesh. But that's probably what'll get done to most
of these things.

Bruce Johnson
Information Technology/College of Pharmacy
The University of Arizona
xxxxxx@tonic.pharm.arizona.edu

As if this place HAD any opinions...

Subject: Orrimot-class Ligistics ship - reply
[Alvin's comments, 510]

>	Actually, since so many thousands (probably millions over the
years) of them have been made, I'd suspect that they'd be all over  the
place, in most cases, modified beyond recognition.

Well, the Orrimot is just the oldest and the most primitive of the vast (an
I mean VAST) array of cargo/refuelers that has been built for the Imperial
Navy over the centuries. "Ugly, stinky, and full of odd grinding noises" is
the usual shorthand description. Cheap, also, for it's purpose: discounts on
the price may hit 80%, since the basic model's so well known. Even it's base
price is quite reasonable for a tanker of it's type, as it lacks expensive
artificial gravity. For the cash-strapped colonial and planetary navies
which need a handy jump-3 tanker/cargo ship, this is the way to go.

I would feel that it's unpopularity would stem from the hard-to-find part's
and supplies it needs, as it was designed before most of the modern Imperial
Naval Part's spec's were set. Fortunately, the Orrimot spec's are usually
ancient ancestors to today's spec's, and the relationship is close enough so
that, even if you can't find exactly what you're looking for, you can
jury-rig something fairly easily.

Just don't expect to win any popularity contest with the Orrimot. Even the
crew of Morraine free traders - who's TL A design isn't exactly cutting edge
technology - enjoy sneering at the Orrimot's obvious hamster cages:
"Hamster cages? What museum did you rob? Don't tell me: you
Solomani/Humans/Imperials STILL don't get artigrav technology, don't you?"

...ample supply of liferafts:
"Ten liferafts? Obviously, you don't QUITE trust your pilot - not that I
blame you, seeing the sorry excuse of a landing approach you made..."

...and overall cheapness:
"Yeah, just look for the Orrimot. You know, the building with the stubby
wings slapped on it's sides. Watch out though, the crystaliron (giggleSNORT)
hull's a bit rusty, chunks of it might lick your head if you bang on it too
hard..."

However, Vilani with a sense of history and tradition (ie: all Vilani) will
get a kick of crewing a Orrimot, extolling it's solid, no-nonsense stability
and falling in love with it's profoundly ancient control interfaces:

"Hey, don't you just LOVE these piloting gauges! I mean, they're practically
ANALOG! And I bet the wiring hasn't been changed since the Zhutastu
Dynasty!"
"Well, I don't know about this software..."
"What? WRITTEN CODE?" Shoves doubtful captain aside, looks over code: "Yes!
Hold on a minute... maybe it's..." Practically explodes with joy on the
bridge "JUMP TAPES! Genuine JUMP TAPES, without any of those cheap modern
upgrades!"
Captain turns ashen. "You mean we have to buy blindingly expensive jumptapes
for every single system we want to visit?"
The Vilani engineer - with a delighted gleam in her eye - replies,
"Absolutely! Just like in The Good Old Days!"
Captain's eyes roll into her head as she crumples to the floor.

>	Never underestimate what people will latch onto as useful
transportation... This is what are turned into banana boats, or copra
freighters, or those freighters that ply the truly poor backwaters of the
Imperium.

And when we say poor, we mean POOR.

Actually, until Norris upgraded so many systems, there were several areas
within the Spinward Marches where the Orrimot's technology and weaponry was
actually superiour to anything locally produced (speaking of civilian ships,
of course). Which goes to show why Marchmen were considered the poor and
violent hicks of the Third Imperium - any system that can be dominated by an
Orrimot is DEFINITELY out of the loop.

Overheard in a Gushemege bar, 1109:
"The Spinward Marches are so poor, you could conquer half the worlds with
nothing but a few Orrimot's and ten FGMP-15's."
"The Zho's seem to have a rough time of it..."
"No FGMP-15's."

>	I almost got to live in a LST (Landing Ship-Tank) that had been
converted...

In the Spinward Marches (pre-Rebellion), there were far more Orrimot's being
used as refuellers to support C- and D-level ports then were actually used
as cargo ships. (Sometimes, the only difference between them was that if the
Orrimot's fuel refining equipment still worked, the port was classified "C":
if not, then it was "D")

Alvin Plummer
"Preserve what we created, Norris, and remember what we stood for."
- Strephon, 179-1126

Subject: Orrimot-class
[Mark's comments, 512]

Thanks Alvin! That was one of the best bits I've read the TML in a while. I
needed that chuckle.

>	Overheard in a Gushemege bar, 1109:
>	"The Spinward Marches are so poor, you could conquer half the worlds
with nothing but a few Orrimot's and ten FGMP-15's."
>	"The Zho's seem to have a rough time of it..."
>	"No FGMP-15's."

"SNORT!"  Colour me 'easily amused'.

xxxxxx@ultranet.com -- These opinions are mine, no one else wants `em.
Driving a Hudson Hornet on the disinformation triple bypass: cruising for
burgers & garage sales. Hooks baited, lines entangled, roadkill cooked.
	http://www.ultranet.com/~eclipse/

Subject: Re: Orrimont
[My comments, 513]

Dear Folks -

>	Overheard in a Gushemege bar, 1109:

Brilliant, Alvin. I had to apologise for laughing out loud in the library
when I read this joke.

- Hyphen
(David Jaques-Watson)

Subject: Orrimot Class Owners
[Bruce's comments, 548]

Had to get this out before Alvin goes 'poof' again, so he could see it.

THESE are the kind of people who pick up those old surplus Orrimot class
fleet tenders. Obviously, stuff like this has to take place in the Regency,
or some other stable, wealthy area...I suspect that starship collectors
don't exist elsewhere ( "you see, in the RC we call 'em Pie-rates, boy!")

Bruce Johnson

"The Tender"

A quarterly magazine for Antique Starship Enthusiasts
Vol 258, No. 3, Pub. 1204/01/12
Glisten, Spinward Marches

Contents

Editorial

3	'Old friends revisited...The Orrimot special issue'

Tech

22	'Main Hub Bearing Rebuilds Done Right'

Smokey takes you step by step through this important part of any Orrie
rebuild or maintenence. Blueprints are included to machine the hard-to-find
outer rim seal sets, and to modify Ensign Industries turret bearings for
those of you who can't find original parts.

45	'Never Buy Jump Tapes Again'

We install the Strange Trip Industries workstation interface. Can a dropout
computer genius really run a starship off a desktop? They call it a kit, but
we find that lots of homebrewing is necessary...this ain't a weekend
project, folks.

62	'Why Spin?'

Lots of people consider it heresy, but face it...CG is a lot more convenient
sometimes. We evaluate the 'New Grav' CG adapter system for use on that
custom 'mot you have in your stable.

Features

69	Interview/Ship Profile. Furthr

TT talks, in depth, to Dunstan Englebart, architect of the STI workstation
interface. How a renowned programmer/engineer dropped out of a high profile
career with Starpoint Systems, found peace and happiness in a starfaring
commune, and happened to free antique shipowners from the jump tapes
forever.

The Furthr is more than the wildly painted home of a odd bunch of
interstellar vagabonds...from the city bus sign riveted to it's nose, to the
garden taking up the starboard hamster cage, to the sound system running
throughout the ship, to the extended airfoils on the tail, the Furthr is a
monument to the flexibility and modifiability of the basic Orrie design. We
talk to Angus McCorran, Dunstan Englebart and Viroshuggzh Agrizzh, the
ship's master, syestem's engineer, and chief engineer, respectively about
life on the Furthr, and homebuilding starcraft.

83	Interview/Ship Profile

Ramshalassan Vulkuri has won numerous concours d'exellance awards with his
meticulously restored Salmoras. Here he tells TT of his long infatuation
with Vilani-designed ships, a brief tour of his collection, and details of
his restoration of the Salmoras.

Gleaming like the day she was launched, the Salmoras stands as an
outstanding example of the restorer's craft. First launched in the very
earliest days of the Imperium, in 238, she served the fledgling Imperial
fleet for 70 years. Ramshalassan Vulkuri found her languishing in a Spinward
Marches junkyard, and bought her for next to nothing. That began a 15 year
odyssey to find, rebuild or recreate the parts necessary to bring it back to
the pristine condition it is in today. Ramshalassan roamed throughout the
subsector poking around in junkyards, antique shops and surplus depots in
that time. The original Vland to Ershur jump tape set, he says, was his
greatest find. It was in a dingy old thrift shop on Gram...

Regular Features

5	Mail to the editors

Readers sound off on early Scout/Courier history, the Type Y debate...single
class or artificial distinction?, Early Tukera insignia.

8	Ask Smokey

Smokey answers your tough tech questions.

17	Brill's Rambles

Brill covers a tough subject...finding the ROOM for those things in your
yard.

91	Bit's 'n Pieces

New stuff for the Starship enthusiast

98	Market place

Buy sell, or just horsetrade.

107	End Page

Sir Movrol N'garsett on the new Regency Salvage Code

Subject: Re: TRAVELLER digest 548
[Alvin's comments, 551]

>	Had to get this out before Alvin goes 'poof' again, so he could see
it.

Finally got to see it. Wow!

>	TT talks, in depth, to Dunstan Englebart, architect of the STI
workstation interface. How a renowned programmer/engineer dropped out of a
high profile career with Starpoint Systems, found peace and happiness in a
starfaring commune, and happened to free antique shipowners from the jump
tapes forever.

A True Hero!

>	Regular Features:
>	5	Mail to the editors: Readers sound off on early
Scout/Courier history, the Type Y debate...single class or artificial
distinction?

Sound's like certain legendary TML debates...

[What's Wrong With Traveller comments snipped]

Alvin Plummer
"Preserve what we created, Norris, and remember what we stood for."
- Strephon, 179-1126

David "Hyphen" Jaques-Watson ..at.. Beowulf Down (Tavonni/Vilis/SM 1520)
http://www.tip.net.au/~davidjw                    xxxxxx@pcug.org.au
"I file things in historical order, with a hashing algorithm of gravity"