Re: [TML] The obligatory 'Oh, it's all gone quiet over there' thread Freelance Traveller (30 Jan 2015 23:28 UTC)

Re: [TML] The obligatory 'Oh, it's all gone quiet over there' thread Freelance Traveller 30 Jan 2015 23:28 UTC

On Fri, 30 Jan 2015 16:27:03 -0600, Joseph Hoopman
<xxxxxx@hotmail.com> wrote:

>For me, Traveller is kind of inextricably linked to C.J. Cherryh’s
>Union/Alliance universe – Downbelow Station, any of the Merchanter
>books, Cyteen, the Chanur series, etc.  But that might be because I was
>reading them both back in the early 1980s moreso than for any formal
>connection.

I've not read any of these other than Chanur; I'll second that one.

>Also, I saw Niven/Pournelle’s Mote in God’s Eye was already mentioned, which I’d second.

...and if I haven't already, I'll resecond this.

I don't recall it being mentioned (but I sometimes - especially after a
week like this one - feel like I'm up to the 'Z' in "Alzheimer's"), but
some of the _early_ Honor Harrington should be on the list. The later
stuff gets a bit too rarefied and politics-focussed, though if that's
your cup of tea-substitute, by all means go for 'em.

--
Jeff Zeitlin, Editor
Freelance Traveller

xxxxxx@freelancetraveller.com
http://www.freelancetraveller.com
http://freelancetraveller.downport.com/

®Traveller is a registered trademark of
Far Future Enterprises, 1977-2014. Use of
the trademark in this notice and in the
referenced materials is not intended to
infringe or devalue the trademark.

Freelance Traveller extends its thanks to the following
enterprises for hosting services:

CyberNET Web Hosting (http://www.cyberwebhosting.net)
The Traveller Downport (http://www.downport.com)