[TML] Naval Bases & Battles/Sieges/Strikes during peacetime Jim Vassilakos (11 Jun 2023 18:45 UTC)
Re: [TML] Naval Bases & Battles/Sieges/Strikes during peacetime Kurt Feltenberger (12 Jun 2023 00:47 UTC)

Re: [TML] Naval Bases & Battles/Sieges/Strikes during peacetime Kurt Feltenberger 12 Jun 2023 00:46 UTC

On 6/11/2023 2:44 PM, Jim Vassilakos - jim.vassilakos at gmail.com (via
tml list) wrote:
> We see lots of Naval Bases in the UWP of various worlds. For those
> inside the Imperium, are these bases of the Imperial Navy, the
> Subsector Navy, or the Planetary Navy (or do these different forces
> share bases)?

On the UWP, I always treated these as Imperial bases.  They may be
co-located with sector, subsector, or planetary navies, but there is an
Imperial presence, even if it's only a squadron of fighters or older
ship to show the flag.

> Also, in the original High Guard, Battles, Sieges, and Strikes would
> regularly come up on the Specific Assignments tables. This is
> understandable during a time of war, but what about during times of
> peace? Or should we assume there are lots of low-level wars going on
> all over the place, even deep inside the Imperium?

In a political union as large as the 3d Imperium, I would think that
there is always something going on that requires Imperial intervention.
It could be an anti-piracy sweep, surgical strike against dissidents
believed to have prohibited weapons, etc.  Look at the world today...we
just spent 20 years in Afghanistan without it being a *declared* war,
yet war it was.  Just like the NATO mission in Kosovo in the late 90s,
Desert Shield/Storm in 90-91, and on and on.  Multiply that by 1000+
worlds and I think that if you wanted to pull a trigger wearing Imperial
colors you'd have plenty of opportunity to drop the hammer.

--
Kurt Feltenberger
xxxxxx@thepaw.org/xxxxxx@yahoo.com

www.avg.com