Crottled Greeps, and other edible(?) things... Jeff Zeitlin (06 Jun 2023 22:27 UTC)
Re: [TML] Crottled Greeps, and other edible(?) things... Evyn MacDude (06 Jun 2023 22:48 UTC)
Re: [TML] Crottled Greeps, and other edible(?) things... Jeff Zeitlin (12 Jun 2023 14:25 UTC)
Re: [TML] Crottled Greeps, and other edible(?) things... Evyn MacDude (19 Jun 2023 22:10 UTC)
Re: [TML] Crottled Greeps, and other edible(?) things... Jeffrey Schwartz (07 Jun 2023 01:20 UTC)
Re: [TML] Crottled Greeps, and other edible(?) things... Jeff Zeitlin (12 Jun 2023 17:00 UTC)
Re: [TML] Crottled Greeps, and other edible(?) things... Jeffrey Schwartz (12 Jun 2023 19:22 UTC)
Re: Edible(?) things... Jonathan Clark (07 Jun 2023 02:51 UTC)
Re: [TML] Re: Edible(?) things... Jeff Zeitlin (12 Jun 2023 17:09 UTC)
Re: [TML] Re: Edible(?)things... Jonathan Clark (13 Jun 2023 01:47 UTC)

On Tue, 6 Jun 2023 21:19:59 -0400, Jeffrey Schwartz wrote:

>There is a thing I make when I'm tired and don't have the energy to
>cook something complicated. My wife and i call it "Vargr"
>It's based on  Z'zezishz : https://wiki.travellerrpg.com/Z%27zezishz
>but simplified

If someone knows where I could get in contact with Morandir Armson, I'd be
interested in pulling this into the FTCB, as well.

>1lb ground beef, bison, or other meat
>1 can cooked diced potatoes
>1 small can mixed peas & carrots

Or dice up fresh veggies yourself; sometimes canned is ... bleh.

>various peppers, random depending on what's in the fridge
>salt
>Black pepper
>cayenne pepper powder
>crushed red pepper in shaker
>Optional: garlic butter. The little tubs you get from Papa Johns are just right

Or you could make your own; softened butter with granulated garlic (like
you get in the pizza shop).

>Brown the meat and drain most of the grease
>Chop up the fresh peppers and add them to the meat
>Add seasonings
>return to low heat and cook until the peppers are mostly done
>Add potatoes, peas & carrots
>Bring to medium/high heat, cook until everything is warm and tasty
>Serve into bowls, add garlic butter to taste

Variation: serve on/in pita or on other flatbread.

>IMTU, on Carmel (Deneb/Praetoria 0604) there's a fair population of
>Vargr from just over the border, which leads to there being a few
>genuine Vargr restaurants and a bunch more "ImpVar" places. The ImpVar
>food is even less Var than TexMex is Mex.

>The Carmel version of this dish is usually made with Bugalo (Bug
>Bufalo) which are effectively 800kg or so land crabs
>(See https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Qla9L50gw5xyK1QdBkkqm6DpmZ7lsUTqdOfZug6o76M/edit#
>page 129 for a picture and game stats) (Jeff, if you get the urge to
>put this in the cook book, feel free to copy that whole block on the
>bugalo)

Thank you. That's an impressive sourcebook on Carmel!
You have two Bugali listed, the regular Bugalo and the Forest Bugalo; which
is it (or can either be used?) I'm presuming that their meat is more like
beef/red meat than like crab/lobster/other hemocyanic crustacean...

>--------
>
>In the Baronny, a town on the coast of the main continent on Carmel,
>they have a seafood snack called "pseudosushi" .
>
>One small can of tuna fish per person
>Mayo
>Golden mustard
>Wasabi
>Sweet relish
>Cucumbers
>Tomato
>Onion
>Nori paper

>Mix up the tuna, mayo, mustard, sweet relish to make tuna salad.
>Proportions to taste
>Add wasabi until it's biting just a bit.
>Lay out a sheet of Nori Paper, spoon the tuna salad across.
>Add slices of cukes, tomato, onion
>Roll the paper, then slice into bite size bits

Minus the tomato, I could see my local sushi place serving this. Or a close
variation; they'd probably do it with (raw) maguro (red tuna) or hamachi
(yellowtail), and they have their own version of a non-pickle relish.

I could also make this at home using Gold's Horseradish (white, not red)
instead of the wasabi, and I'd probably make it as temaki (the cone-shaped
'hand roll' instead of the 'standard' hosomaki/uramaki).

>The Carmel version of this is usually made with Plutofish ("like a
>goldfish, but plutonium deadly") - picture a 200kg goldfish with shark
>teeth at the front of the jaw, and a whale's strainer system to let it
>consume mass quantities of plankton in between the good meals.  The
>plankton tends to flavor the meat, and the wasabi is in this recipe
>only to make the tuna taste more like plutofish.

Which leads to the possible name of 'kingyo-(te-)maki'; without the
vinegared rice, calling it anything-sushi is ... inaccurate. (kin-gyo is
gold-fish; maki/temaki is the nori-wrapped roll, as above.

(On Carmel, it wouldn't be unreasonable to call it 'plutomaki/plutotemaki',
either.)

®Traveller is a registered trademark of
Far Future Enterprises, 1977-2022. Use of
the trademark in this notice and in the
referenced materials is not intended to
infringe or devalue the trademark.

--
Jeff Zeitlin, Editor
Freelance Traveller

Freelance Traveller extends its thanks to the following
enterprises for hosting services:

onCloud/CyberWeb Enterprises (http://www.oncloud.io)
The Traveller Downport (http://www.downport.com)