Titles of the Emperor Jeff Zeitlin (18 Sep 2023 23:08 UTC)
Re: [TML] Titles of the Emperor Alex Goodwin (19 Sep 2023 11:12 UTC)
Re: [TML] Titles of the Emperor Alan Peery (20 Sep 2023 10:00 UTC)
Re: [TML] Titles of the Emperor Alex Goodwin (20 Sep 2023 17:37 UTC)
Re: [TML] Titles of the Emperor Phil Pugliese (22 Sep 2023 23:29 UTC)
Re: [TML] Titles of the Emperor Phil Pugliese (20 Sep 2023 22:28 UTC)
Re: [TML] Titles of the Emperor Timothy Collinson (21 Sep 2023 06:45 UTC)
Re: [TML] Titles of the Emperor Roger Gammans (21 Sep 2023 08:14 UTC)

Re: [TML] Titles of the Emperor Alex Goodwin 20 Sep 2023 17:37 UTC

On 20/9/23 19:59, Alan Peery - Alan.Peery at tractare.co.uk (via tml
list) wrote:

> On 19/09/2023 12:11, Alex Goodwin - alex.goodwin at multitel.com.au
> (via tml list) wrote:
>> Can you see any major reason for HIM _not_ to be the (at least
>> nominal) Core subsector duke/duchess?
>>
>>     Can you see any major reason for HIM _not_ to be the sector
>> duke/duchess of Core sector?
>>
>> If so, none of that precludes palming the lesser titles' duties off
>> to someone else.  (eg in Ciencia's case, Casimir(?) might
>> functionally be the Core subsector duke after a couple of decades).
>
> I'd say those titles would be held by descendants.  It's pretty
> traditional for lesser titles to be held this way, as King Charles was
> Prince of Wales before assuming the throne.
>
> There's also often (poor my poor knowdge of the topic) a yet lower
> title(s) often held by a king-level figure like "Viscount of Pretty
> Vale" that align with a territory or property ownership and
> inheritance thereof from a birthright not directly aligned with the
> main throne.  In the Imperium, that could be "Orbitholder of (planet)
> Glowing Gem".
>
> Alan
>
> -

Alan,

I'm not sure how close a parallel Prince of Wales is, as (according to
el wiki), it merges with the British Crown upon the holder's accession.
Charlie III was both Prince of Wales and King for a day (I think) before
separating the PoW title back out from the Crown and palming it off to
William.

Among the other archdukes, as of Lorenverse 1120, according to GT:N:

Norris is also Duke of Regina;

Adair is the Sol Rim sector duke, _but_ he did that off his own bat
(_vastly_ amusing the previous incumbent);

Tranian presumably inherited his father's county of Daramm;

Isis, Ishuggi and Brzk aren't explicitly mentioned as possessing
subsidiary titles.

So you're probably right - I didn't realise I was assuming because _one_
archduke (Norris) had a subsector duchy, it followed that _all_
archdukes had one.

Following your suggestion through after Strephon kicks it/abdicates, we
end up with Ciencia on the throne, and Casimir (assuming the old boy
held on long enough - 1135 should do it) becoming Grand Prince hot on
those heels. Comparatively early in the peace, he ends up as either one
of the Counts in the subsector, or the substantive Core subsector duke.
It would give the heir apparent (Casimir in this case) opportunity to
either hang themselves or prove they can actually govern.

My question is doesn't installing Casimir as the respective subordinate
title's seneschal discern the same information, but in a more revocable
way (if the boy turns out unable to organise a pissup in a brewery)?

As for back-of-woop-woop collateral titles, how about the Marquisate of
Usdiki?

Alex