[Off-Topic] Seeking Laptop Purchase Advice Richard Aiken (19 Mar 2024 21:19 UTC)
Re: [TML] [Off-Topic] Seeking Laptop Purchase Advice Charles McKnight (19 Mar 2024 23:24 UTC)
Re: [TML] [Off-Topic] Seeking Laptop Purchase Advice Jeff Zeitlin (19 Mar 2024 23:39 UTC)
Re: [TML] [Off-Topic] Seeking Laptop Purchase Advice Richard Aiken (20 Mar 2024 00:28 UTC)
Re: [TML] [Off-Topic] Seeking Laptop Purchase Advice Evyn MacDude (20 Mar 2024 06:53 UTC)
Re: [TML] [Off-Topic] Seeking Laptop Purchase Advice Jeff Zeitlin (20 Mar 2024 11:50 UTC)
Re: [TML] [Off-Topic] Seeking Laptop Purchase Advice Richard Aiken (20 Mar 2024 21:45 UTC)
Re: [TML] [Off-Topic] Seeking Laptop Purchase Advice Rupert Boleyn (20 Mar 2024 23:35 UTC)
Re: [TML] [Off-Topic] Seeking Laptop Purchase Advice Richard Aiken (20 Mar 2024 23:55 UTC)
Re: [TML] [Off-Topic] Seeking Laptop Purchase Advice Richard Aiken (21 Mar 2024 00:25 UTC)
Re: [TML] [Off-Topic] Seeking Laptop Purchase Advice Richard Aiken (21 Mar 2024 00:37 UTC)
Re: [TML] [Off-Topic] Seeking Laptop Purchase Advice Richard Aiken (21 Mar 2024 00:55 UTC)
Re: [TML] [Off-Topic] Seeking Laptop Purchase Advice Vareck Bostrom (21 Mar 2024 09:38 UTC)
Re: [TML] [Off-Topic] Seeking Laptop Purchase Advice Richard Aiken (21 Mar 2024 13:12 UTC)
Re: [TML] [Off-Topic] Seeking Laptop Purchase Advice Richard Aiken (21 Mar 2024 13:42 UTC)
Re: [TML] [Off-Topic] Seeking Laptop Purchase Advice Vareck Bostrom (21 Mar 2024 16:52 UTC)
Re: [TML] [Off-Topic] Seeking Laptop Purchase Advice Richard Aiken (21 Mar 2024 23:24 UTC)
Re: [TML] [Off-Topic] Seeking Laptop Purchase Advice Vareck Bostrom (22 Mar 2024 06:02 UTC)
Re: [TML] [Off-Topic] Seeking Laptop Purchase Advice Richard Aiken (30 Mar 2024 01:48 UTC)
Re: [TML] [Off-Topic] Seeking Laptop Purchase Advice Evyn MacDude (21 Mar 2024 17:46 UTC)
Re: [TML] [Off-Topic] Seeking Laptop Purchase Advice greg nokes (21 Mar 2024 17:51 UTC)

Re: [TML] [Off-Topic] Seeking Laptop Purchase Advice Jeff Zeitlin 20 Mar 2024 11:50 UTC

On Tue, 19 Mar 2024 20:28:03 -0400, Richard Aiken - raikenclw at gmail.com
(via tml list) <xxxxxx@simplelists.com> wrote to Freelance Traveller:

>Dear Charles and Jeff,
>
>As I now realize I should have mentioned upfront, my sole experience is
>(perhaps unfortunately) with Windows and Android.

Given that you were talking about replacing a Surface Pro, I stuck to
Windows systems in my previous post. I only mentioned Samsung for Android
because (a) I'm familiar with it, and (b), a websearch for laptops
mentioned them as a source. Since I don't know Samsung for Windows, I said
so.

>                                                  My 20-something coworkers
>are constantly advising me to get an iPhone, but my response is that as I
>can barely work what I have I'd be totally lost with a completely different
>device.

The iPhone vs. Android debate is for an entirely different niche; I have my
own opinions in that area, but felt that it was outside the scope of your
question, so I didn't address it.

>        My experience with computer games is limited to expending stacks of
>quarters to shoot at lurching zombies in something called House Of The
>Dead, many years ago. My 30-something boss tells me I really should try
>some of the newer computer RPGs, given how realistic NPC interactions are
>becoming (thanks to AI). But I'm leery of such, as I'm worried I might get
>addicted. ?

Definitely not my style. My style of computer games is more along the lines
of puzzles or Infocoms, not FPS or MMO.

>As per above, I'm quite illiterate in terms of computer knowledge. I
>recognize most of the companies, products and systems mentioned only from
>other references made to their like on this mailing list. What I gather
>from the advice given that a refurbished Dell or Chromebook may be what I
>need.

Chromebooks are, IMO, somewhat underpowered, and tend to rely on having a
full-time net connection. They more-or-less expect to use cloud-based apps
for things like word processing or image rendering, and prioritize weight
and low cost over performance (and may not have USB at all). Think of a
ChromeBook as a souped-up Android system and you won't be all that far off.

®Traveller is a registered trademark of
Far Future Enterprises, 1977-2024. Use of
the trademark in this notice and in the
referenced materials is not intended to
infringe or devalue the trademark.

--
Jeff Zeitlin, Editor
Freelance Traveller

Freelance Traveller extends its thanks to the following
enterprises for hosting services:

onCloud/CyberWeb Enterprises (http://www.oncloud.io)
The Traveller Downport (http://www.downport.com)