...but I won't eat that Jeff Zeitlin (11 Apr 2024 21:49 UTC)
Re: [TML] ...but I won't eat that Jeff Zeitlin (15 Apr 2024 18:07 UTC)
Re: [TML] ...but I won't eat that Richard Aiken (17 Apr 2024 02:15 UTC)
Re: [TML] ...but I won't eat that Jeff Zeitlin (17 Apr 2024 16:47 UTC)

On Thu, 11 Apr 2024 17:49:24 -0400, I wrote:

>       Hominy, in that story, is food for poor Blacks, and self-respecting
>Blacks that have attained a certain socioeconomic position in that story
>consider it insulting to be served - or even offered - hominy in any form.
>Thus, since in that setting, Blacks have generally become mid-level civil
>servants, a restaurant that caters to them won't even have hominy on the
>menu.

There's actually a similar kind of sub-story in Diane Duane's _The Romulan
Way_, part of the _Rihanssu_ cycle of Star Trek novels: In this particular
book, she tells the story of the sundering of the Vulcans who refused
Surak's teachings (and would eventually become the Romulans) from those who
accepted those teachings. Those who refused chose to leave Vulcan and find
a new world; during the voyage, one of the ships had a hydroponic crop
failure. The other ships donated what they could to help, but the affected
ship's eventual rations were mostly a tuber called 'flatroot'. The people
from that ship ended up mostly being settled in one region, and even a
couple of thousand years later, those people will not eat 'the wretched
root'.

®Traveller is a registered trademark of
Far Future Enterprises, 1977-2024. Use of
the trademark in this notice and in the
referenced materials is not intended to
infringe or devalue the trademark.

--
Jeff Zeitlin, Editor
Freelance Traveller

Freelance Traveller extends its thanks to the following
enterprises for hosting services:

onCloud/CyberWeb Enterprises (http://www.oncloud.io)
The Traveller Downport (http://www.downport.com)