[TML]Anyone Watching SyFy's Dark Matter? Richard Aiken (21 Jun 2015 03:57 UTC)
Re: [TML]Anyone Watching SyFy's Dark Matter? Brett Kruger (21 Jun 2015 09:00 UTC)
Re: [TML]Anyone Watching SyFy's Dark Matter? John Geoffrey (21 Jun 2015 13:10 UTC)
Re: [TML]Anyone Watching SyFy's Dark Matter? Bruce Johnson (22 Jun 2015 00:35 UTC)
Re: [TML]Anyone Watching SyFy's Dark Matter? Richard Aiken (22 Jun 2015 01:51 UTC)
Re: [TML]Anyone Watching SyFy's Dark Matter? Richard Aiken (21 Jun 2015 20:39 UTC)
Re: [TML]Anyone Watching SyFy's Dark Matter? Bruce Johnson (22 Jun 2015 00:34 UTC)
Re: [TML]Anyone Watching SyFy's Dark Matter? Richard Aiken (22 Jun 2015 01:50 UTC)
Re: [TML]Anyone Watching SyFy's Dark Matter? Richard Aiken (22 Jun 2015 01:55 UTC)
Re: [TML]Anyone Watching SyFy's Dark Matter? Fred Kiesche (22 Jun 2015 10:52 UTC)
Re: [TML]Anyone Watching SyFy's Dark Matter? John Geoffrey (22 Jun 2015 15:20 UTC)
Re: [TML]Anyone Watching SyFy's Dark Matter? Grimmund (22 Jun 2015 15:46 UTC)
Re: [TML]Anyone Watching SyFy's Dark Matter? John Geoffrey (22 Jun 2015 17:05 UTC)
Re: [TML]Anyone Watching SyFy's Dark Matter? Richard Aiken (23 Jun 2015 06:27 UTC)
Re: [TML]Anyone Watching SyFy's Dark Matter? Jim Catchpole (22 Jun 2015 21:18 UTC)
Re: [TML]Anyone Watching SyFy's Dark Matter? Richard Aiken (23 Jun 2015 06:29 UTC)
Re: [TML]Anyone Watching SyFy's Dark Matter? Richard Aiken (04 Jul 2015 01:48 UTC)

Re: [TML]Anyone Watching SyFy's Dark Matter? John Geoffrey 22 Jun 2015 15:20 UTC

so... I just watched the beginning of Dark Matter yesterday (as in:
the first 2/3rds of the first episode before it got a bit too stupid
for late at night). The acting was slightly off, the special effects
were about 15 years out of date, and some of the character development
was weird. It felt a lot like a 90s SF show. Even the characters
seemed to tick off all the boxes for cliches used back then.
But I did like the beginning of the episode. I was thinking about how
to do that in Traveller: a group of people wake up without memories on
a ship without identification and now they have to find out who they
are and what they are doing there. This would allow a group of
characters to explore the setting more fully, to understand the ship
and the surrounding star systems.

Knowing nothing about the plot of the later episodes I cam up with
this: a shipping company wants to commit insurance fraud (think the
Titanic/Olympic theories). So they build two ships, one ultramodern
cruise ship, one a cheaper and very generic trader. Their plan is to
sell the cruise ship outside the imperium, and at the same time claim
a loss of the ship on the way to its first destination within the
imperium. So they switch transponder signals and try to drop the
trader into the sun of a low-traffic system.
The main characters are stuck on that trader that is supposed to drop
into the sun, and they are all mindwiped and don't have a clue what is
going on. (the whole ship has been scrubbed of identification). They
were low-berth Travellers on the shipping lines ships and had all
roughly the right qualification, so they spirited off and claimed to
be the crew of the cruise ship (for additional fun the company tries
to cash in on their life insurance as well).
But they were woken up due to some quirk in the system. Maybe a spy in
the company who didn't want them to die, maybe some computer routines.

Thoughts? I was thinking about using this to introduce the system to
two people who haven't played it before.

--
----
Stuffed Crocodile Blog