Re: [TML] Exploring neutronium Kelly St. Clair 22 Aug 2015 07:16 UTC

On 8/21/2015 5:28 PM, Tim wrote:

> Or more simply, assume that the Traveller universe has such a shift
> naturally.  There would be minor consequences for Big Bang
> nucleosynthesis and stronger ones for supernova dynamics, but nothing
> that couldn't be patched.

... orrrr you could acknowledge that we are talking about comic book,
space opera and/or tabletop RPG science, which was mostly made up off
the cuff, and never meant to stand up to 40+ years of scrutiny and
analysis, some by actual experts in the field.

I mean, I get the urge to go all Watsonian on this (geeky minds /love/
this kind of deep, arcane, and/or masturbatory thought exercise), but
the reason I always go full Doylist in these cases is that I believe -
and submit to the list - that it is a doomed effort.  The entire reason
we're talking about this is that it's come up as yet another place where
the universe as described is not consistent, either with our own /or
itself/.  You cannot construct a coherent, consistent set of alternate
physics on a foundation which is neither; it is a hopeless effort.
Garbage In, Garbage Out.

But hey, if you honestly have nothing better to do than spend hours
trying to make sense of some technobabble that a hack writer for Star
Trek or DC Comics or Astounding Science Fiction or the Judges Guild
pulled out of his ass to meet a deadline that afternoon, based on a
third-hand understanding of what we thought we knew last century...
don't let me stop you.

--
Kelly St. Clair