Re: [TML] Exploring neutronium Bruce Johnson 22 Aug 2015 16:39 UTC

> On Aug 22, 2015, at 7:06 AM, Phil Pugliese (via tml list) <xxxxxx@simplelists.com> wrote:
>
> I've often wondered how a conversation 'tween Sir Isaac Newton & a time-travelling current-day high school physics student would go when the subject of relativity came up…

Pretty well, I think, once Issac got caught up on the math. Other physicists were groping around the concept before Einstein grasped it; Newton grasped intuitively that gravity was an attraction between two bodies, that it was weak, given that one of the bodies must be very large to exert 1G.

I don’t think he’d have a very hard time making the leap to relativity at all.

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona