Re: [TML] Instant city Phil Pugliese 15 Feb 2016 14:09 UTC

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

True, but wanting to be able to do something & being able to do that very thing are two different things entirely.
We can't always do what we want nowadays & that will be just as true in the future. Esp the TU(c).
So, I do not accept that it cannot be possible that, w/i the TU, it will still be possible to lose ships w/o a trace..

On Sun, 2/14/16, Greg Chalik <mrg3105@gmail.com> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [TML] Instant city
 To: xxxxxx@simplelists.com
 Date: Sunday, February 14, 2016, 12:54 PM

 Craig, I'm sure
 everyone is aware of the Malaysian Boeing off West
 Australian coast more than a year ago, and how the potential
 crash AREA was identified from the a/c engines transponder
 though the a/c wasn't intended to be flying in that
 direction, and the engine manufacturer is not usually called
 upon during searches.
 Human ingenuity I think is a far stronger and more core
 concept in sci-fi than anything MM might have written.
 I do not accept the possibility of TL15 or even 11 of
 loosing spaceships, at least so completely, if only because
 no one would insure vessels. Substantive measures to improve
 crew selection and construction standards were taken as a
 result of the emergence of shipping insurance, just after
 the Napoleonic wars.
 Cheers
 Greg
 On 14/02/2016 5:40 PM,
 "Craig Berry" <xxxxxx@gmail.com>
 wrote:
 Oh, absolutely! Moving through friendly space,
 warships would be tracked in a dozen different redundant
 ways. Even in unfriendly space, tricks like leaving stealth
 buoys, using couriers intelligently, and so forth will
 minimize the odds of a ship going entirely missing. My only
 point is that there are lots of wartime scenarios in which
 you could lose a ship (or a whole fleet) and have no clear
 idea of its fate for many years, if ever.
 On Sat, Feb 13, 2016 at
 10:26 PM, William Ewing (via tml list) <xxxxxx@simplelists.com>
 wrote:
 This email was sent from yahoo.com which does not allow
 forwarding of emails via email lists. Therefore the
 sender's email address (xxxxxx@yahoo.com)
 has been replaced with a dummy
 one.
 They can and
 would implement something as close to that as possible. I
 gave current, real-world terms. In Traveller, they would
 naturally have to modify the idea some. For example,
 whenever in a system with xboat service, transmit, prior to
 jump, your movement report. If you don't show up, it
 helps narrow down where and when you went missing. If
 there's no xboat, is there a Scout base? An IN base? Or
 a military data drop on planet? Yes,
 it won't work *as well* as it does today, but that's
 no excuse for throwing up hands and declining to even try to
 apply some risk mitigation.