Re: Off-topic - tracking enemy vessels, was Re: [TML] Instant city Phil Pugliese 15 Feb 2016 14:33 UTC

Would an enemy vessel be able to detect/exploit that signal?
On the surface, above the surface, or below the surface?

On Sun, 2/14/16, Greg Chalik <xxxxxx@gmail.com> wrote:

 Subject: Re: Off-topic - tracking enemy vessels, was Re: [TML] Instant city
 To: xxxxxx@simplelists.com
 Date: Sunday, February 14, 2016, 2:05 PM

 I'll ask a Navy
 friend, but IMHO even warships never go completely
 'dark' in the e-spectrum. In wartime the EW officer
 will maintain the IFF frequency at all times regardless of
 whatever else happens on or to the ship. It seems to me this
 is one of the ship's sub-systems which is subject to
 higher (tripple?!) redundency.
 Cheers
 Greg
 On 15/02/2016 7:27 AM,
 "William Ewing (via tml list)" <xxxxxx@simplelists.com>
 wrote:
 This email was sent from yahoo.com which does not allow
 forwarding of emails via email lists. Therefore the
 sender's email address (xxxxxx@yahoo.com)
 has been replaced with a dummy one.
 EPIRBs only go off
 when activated by switch, or when immersed in salt water. In
 theory, so long as the ship is above water, they do nothing.
 If the ship sinks, they detach from their mount, float to
 the surface, and scream continually until destroyed or
 batteries die. When sailing normally, said warship is not
 broadcasting it's location on emergency
 frequencies. AIS
 transponders *can* be turned off (legally) on warships, but
 not commercial or private vessels. Under the Rules of the
 Road, every time the Navy turns off it's lights and goes
 dark to try to hide, it's illegal. That's minor,
 unless there's a collision. Then the warship will be
 considered liable for causing the collision because it
 didn't have lights. SWCC inserting SEALS will be unlit,
 but also wait for the area to be clear. If they run over a
 log they didn't know was semi-submerged, and their boat
 sinks, THEN their EPIRBs should go off. If they removed
 those EPIRBs, which I would see as reasonable for such a
 mission, they would be liable for prosecution upon
 discovery. My experience
 with SEALS is limited, but I did learn that they believe in
 what works and what's cool, and screw what's legal
 whenever you can get away with it. They claimed that there
 were regs requiring their beards (no such reg, just the ones
 prohibiting beards) because of their jobs. They didn't
 blatantly disobey; they obfuscated disobedience. I suspect
 that they might illegally tamper with their EPIRBs so the
 saltwater sensors don't work, but sharp inspectors can
 catch that. The ones who
 matter most are INSURV - the Congressional Board of
 Inspection and Survey, who decide what units are worth
 congress spending money on. And they are utter assholes. We
 had former INSURV inspectors as the Decom inspectors on the
 Juneau. They expected us to clean every space to white glove
 standards before they accepted that space, sealed it, and
 eventually took ownership of the ship so it could sit at
 anchor off Hawaii for 5+ years while the Navy decided if the
 new LPDs cut the mustard or not, or the old Austins would
 have to be brought back. I ended up cussing one of them out
 for that. If the navy ever brought the ship back, it'd
 be filthy by then anyway. There was no point to making us
 clean it to those standards, but it's what he was used
 to. He was also used to E-5s who treated Senior Chiefs like
 gods, even retired ones. He wasn't used to an E-5 who
 expected leadership to follow the same rules they held us to
 and knew the regs better than he did. Towards the end, about
 two weeks after I yelled at him, he finally allowed that, in
 order to finish in time, they could permit a lower standard
 of cleaning. We stopped disassembling racks to get pennies
 out and swabbing corners with q-tips.