Re: [TML] Instant city Bruce Johnson 16 Feb 2016 18:36 UTC

> On Feb 16, 2016, at 10:21 AM, Kelly St. Clair <xxxxxx@efn.org> wrote:
>
> And then the Referee does one of three, er, six things:
>
> 1. Everyone climbs into the low berths and waits for the distress call to travel some multiple of 3.26 light years to the nearest world capable of mounting a rescue;

A good way to keep the characters alive, out of the way and move everything ahead 5 or 10 years, along with the ongoing fun around "But you were declared dead…”, “you walk into the bar and conversation suddenly stops….”, “your bank account has been a) raided, b) closed, c)earned an additional few thousand credits interest…”, “your bank wants to talk to you about some 5 years of mortgage payments…."

> 2. Everyone rolls up new characters;

This is Traveller, they either die during chargen or die during play :-)

> 3. By incredible good fortune, there's an icy body close by for refueling;

Well, make ‘em work for it…they have to macguyver a long range sensor from some aluminum tent poles, a walkie-talkie, and some window screen :-)

> 4. By incredible coincidence, there's an alien derelict close by that looks a lot like... *flip flip flip* /this/ illustration;

“And, ladies and gentlemen, your MacGuffin is….[drumrolll]….

> 5. As #3 and #4, and the strange passenger they took aboard at their last stop somehow arranged all of this;

A mysterious stranger with a hidden agenda? No! "Curse your sudden, but inevitable betrayal!"

> <strike>3. "That didn't happen, because I don't feel like ending my entire campaign because of one bad die roll."</strike>6. The referee should determine the flow of subsequent events.

As I recall, the rules specifically state that the referee should use their discretion on misjumps.

yeah, unless you really want to end a particular campaign, you don’t use pure chance to manage this stuff; misjumps are the lazy GM’s choo-choo trains to get the PC’s where he needs them to be...

--
Bruce Johnson
University of Arizona