Re: [TML]Tracking spaceships inJump TU, was: Instantcity Phil Pugliese 19 Feb 2016 15:54 UTC

But there's always a chance that *something* will happen that *can* destroy such a vessel.
It happens regularly although not too frequently. I've seen it on the news.
Sailing the 'seven seas' is a classic adventure that translates well to Traveller.
IMO, a good one will generate dangers based upon the PC's decisions (that's where Patrons, etc. come in).
But if for some reason the PC's decide to, using CT Adv 'Secret of the Ancients' for instance, the PC's just decide to cruise around the Spinward Main, trading until they have enough cash to repair their FarTrader so that it can make J2, then the GM *may* choose to do other things to advance the plot. Or he may not. Either way, it's still an adventure.

On Fri, 2/19/16, Greg Chalik <mrg3105@gmail.com> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [TML]Tracking spaceships inJump TU, was: Instantcity
 To: xxxxxx@simplelists.com
 Date: Friday, February 19, 2016, 1:28 AM

 Tom,
 I am capable of Googling ''adventure
 etymology''.
 Every project includes a risk analysis, yet few consider
 them 'adventures'.
 Perhaps its just me, but if someone proposed to me to go
 sailing as an adventure, and ''oh, by the
 way'' telling me the vessel may experience
 spontaneous combustion somewhere between Sydney and Seattle,
 I would skip risk assessment and just go to the next
 adventure proposal.
 I have better things to do than continue this thread
 Cheers
 Greg
 On 19/02/2016 11:16
 AM,  <tmr0195@comcast.net>
 wrote:
 Hello
 Greg Chalik,

 Since you do not care for the American Heritage
 Dictionary here are links to online sources that might meet
 your standards

 http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/definition/american_english/adventure

 http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/adventure

 http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/adventure

 http://www.macmillandictionary.com/us/dictionary/american/adventure

 http://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/adventure

 The following are copy and paste from
 http://www.thefreedictionary/adventure

 adventure
  (ədˈvɛntʃə)
 1. a risky undertaking of unknown outcome
 2. an exciting or unexpected event or
 course of events
 3. a hazardous financial operation;
 commercial speculation
 4. obsolete
 a.
 danger or misadventure
 b. chance
 vb
 5. to take a risk
 or put at risk
 6.  (foll by: into, on, upon) to
 dare to go or enter (into a place, dangerous activity,
 etc)
 7. to dare to say (something): he
 adventured his opinion.

 [C13: aventure (later altered to
 adventure after the Latin spelling), via Old French
 ultimately from Latin advenīre to happen to (someone),
 arrive]
 adˈventureful adj

 Collins English Dictionary –
 Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins
 Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009,
 2011, 2014

 ad•ven•ture

 (ædˈvɛn tʃər)
 n.,  v.  -tured, -tur•ing. n.

 1.  an exciting or very unusual
 experience.
 2.  participation in exciting
 undertakings or enterprises: the spirit of adventure.
 3.  a bold, uncertain, and usu.
 risky undertaking.
 4.  a commercial or financial
 speculation; venture.
 v.t.
 5.  to risk or hazard.
 6.  to take the chance of; dare.
 v.i.
 7.  to take the risk
 involved.
 8.  to speculate; venture.

 [1200–50; < Anglo-French, Old
 French < Vulgar Latin *adventūra what must happen,
 feminine (orig. neuter pl.) of Latin adventūrus future
 participle of advenīre to arrive. See advent, -ure]

 Random House Kernerman Webster's
 College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright
 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights
 reserved.

 From what I can see all of the above
 agree with The American Heritage Dictionary I used to define
 adventure.

 Tom R