Re: Off-topic - tracking enemy vessels, was Re: [TML] Instant city shadow@xxxxxx 19 Feb 2016 22:00 UTC

On 14 Feb 2016 at 21:01, William Ewing (via tml list) wrote:

> Black boxes are major installations intended to survive by being strong.
> EPIRBs are small and easily detached, and hopefully survive by being out
> of the way of the damage, then floating away to alert the world. I assume
> both approaches should be in use on every ship in the Imperium.

Actually "black boxes" (they are actually orange) are not "major"
installations. They are about the size of a lunchbox.

They do require connections to a lot of systems so they can properly
record the data you want to have on hand if there's a crash.

But being small is part of what *makes* them strong, and survivable.
--
Leonard Erickson (aka shadow)
shadow at shadowgard dot com