Re: GM discretion; wasRe: [TML]Tracking spaceships inJump TU, was: Instantcity rupert.boleyn@xxxxxx 20 Feb 2016 03:47 UTC

On 19 Feb 2016 at 19:19, Richard Aiken wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 19, 2016 at 3:59 PM, <xxxxxx@gmail.com> wrote:
>     Apparently having people get crushed in the machinery or their
>     arms cut off by the ice-cutting laser system is acceptable while
>     getting burned up or crushed inside a gas giant's atmosphere is
>     not.
>
> I can see their point. If you suffer a casualty during an ice-mining
> operation, it's usually just *that* guy who gets hurt. But if you flub
> it on a gas giant skimming run, *everybody* dies.

That's true, but it costs in time - finding a suitable lump of ice and moving to it is sually
slower than a gas giant dive. Also, they've never actually asked me what the rolls for
each job (should I decide they're necessary) would be so they can compare them.
That's the part that amuses me, especially as one of the players is normally very careful
about managing risk - he's willing to take risks, but only after he's assured himself that
the risk/reward ratio is right.