Re: [TML] Instant city shadow@xxxxxx 21 Feb 2016 00:22 UTC

On 15 Feb 2016 at 21:24, William Ewing (via tml list) wrote:

> True. But "it just happened" isn't good enough. What systems do they have
> to prevent it from happening? How did that fail to prevent it? The GM
> should answer those questions when writing the scenario, so that he has a
> ready answer when the players want to use these systems to figure out what
> happened.

In Traveller, misjumps happen for one or more of the following
reasons:

1. jumping inside the 100 diameter limit
2. missed maintenance on drive
3. using unrefined fuel (unless drive is designed for it)
4. damage to ship/drive

Given that, there's rarely anything that needs much explanation. The
first three are *all* avoidable unless there's an emergency, and even
then, it's a "you knew it was dangerous when you did it" situation.

The last is one of those "what can you do?" situations.

*None* of those reasons are guaranteed to cause a misjump (well, the
last could be depending on the specific damage). But all of them
result in an *greatly* (one opf of six?) increased chance of a
misjump. and they add together. So jumping inside 100 dia, using
unrefined fuel and missing maintenace gives you a 3 out of sic (50%!)
chance of a misjump if I'm recalling the rules correctly.

Things are a lot worse for jumping from inside 10 diameters, but I
don't recall the rules for that, just that iot's a truly desperation
move.

--
Leonard Erickson (aka shadow)
shadow at shadowgard dot com