Re: Off-topic - tracking enemy vessels, was Re: [TML] Instant city shadow@xxxxxx 21 Feb 2016 00:22 UTC

On 15 Feb 2016 at 18:59, tmr0195@comcast.net wrote:

> Back when I was in the USN both boomers and fast boats have a device
> attached with a long cable that is designed to be manually or
> automatically released floating to the surface. On the surface the
> device, if every thing works, is a distress beacon that broadcasts
> effectively a mayday/SOS message. Once rescue ships arrive on scene a
> sound powered phone is connected for two-communications. The system
> is designed for relatively shallow waters around the coast line.

That's because there's no way to rescue the crew from greater depths
anyway.

As I recall, from even unclassified material, it's pretty clear that
there's a wide gap between max depth at which a recue bell can work,
and "crush depth" for modern subs. Especially given that actual crush
depths are classified.

It'd really suck to be in a sub stuck in that depth range. Then
again, most of the areas subs operate in have the bottom well below
crush depth anyway.

Though I do have to wonder if it would be possible for a nuclear sub
to get damaged in a way that left it on the bottom but with the hull
intact and the reactor still working.

Hmmm... that'd require compromise of the ballast tanks (so they won't
hold air) and maybe damage to the props.

Definitely in "golden BB" territory.

--
Leonard Erickson (aka shadow)
shadow at shadowgard dot com