Re: [TML] Trawling for 'ice'? Bruce Johnson 23 Feb 2016 20:42 UTC

> On Feb 23, 2016, at 1:16 PM, Greg Chalik <mrg3105@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> But Bruce, how many exo-system Plutos could one expect to be out there? I'd say may be debris fields of Plutos for harvesting are more realistic?

We quite literally have no idea of what’s out there between the stars.

We don’t have the ability to see things that small, dark and cold; they could be common, they could be incredibly rare. We won’t know until we can look.

Heck, look at how much we’ve learned about Pluto in the last few months. I guaran-damn-tee you that if you suggested last year that we would find water icebergs ‘floating’ on a solid nitrogen ‘glacier’ people would have looked at you like you were crazy.

<https://www.nasa.gov/image-feature/floating-hills-on-plutos-sputnik-planum>

Or that it’s moon was covered in water ice?

<https://www.nasa.gov/feature/pluto-s-hulk-like-moon-charon-a-possible-ancient-ocean>

Or that Planet X was still out there???

<http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/01/feature-astronomers-say-neptune-sized-planet-lurks-unseen-solar-system>

--