Re: [TML] Trawling for 'ice'? Tim 23 Feb 2016 23:41 UTC

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 06:57:45AM +1100, Greg Chalik wrote:
> Assuming 0 ice processing in space capability at TL10 before the invention
> of Jump and in the immediate aftermach (for a couple of centuries?

I suppose it could work, but it seems unlikely.  In Traveller's tech
timeline, early grav tech at TL9 already drastically brings down cost
of access to space with the consequent explosion in space
applications.  One of the early commercial applications may well be
mining rare elements from metal-rich asteroids -- or at least,
developing the technology required to do so.  I would expect some
experience with space ice processing by mid TL9 at the latest.

By TL10 this technology should be pretty mature, and fusion powered
grav maneuvering spacecraft will become common.  Those would permit
timely delivery of materials at low cost.  There will likely be a
number of permanent (though probably small) bases supplied with
materials refined from extraterrestrial deposits (such as ices) by
mid-TL10.

> TL11 poor capability with poor (10%) efficiency

What do you mean by "efficiency" there?  Something like they only get
10% of the ice processed, and the rest is somehow lost (e.g. vaporized
into the vacuum of space)?

- Tim