Re: [TML] Book Value Thomas Jones-Low 27 Mar 2016 17:24 UTC

On 3/27/2016 1:16 PM, tmr0195@comcast.net wrote:
> Hello Phil Pugliese,
>
> I tried to find the book on ebay and failed. However I did find it on amazon
> there are four used books. The prices are $1,765.00, $2,995.50, $2,998.51, and
> 4,132.44 without shipping. Shipping adds $3.99.
>
> I think Traveller 1248 Sourcebook 2 Bearers of the Flame is for Traveller 2k but
> I am hoping the prices are not for real. Of course there is no way I'll buy one
> at the prices seen.

	That looks like a classic Amazon third party shop problem. One of the four has
a copy of the book. The other three have an automated system to find an existing
copy of the book, mark it up by 10% and post it to the market. The one seller
who really does have a copy also has an automated system to search amazon, find
any other copies, then sets their price to the highest + 10%. Repeat until price
hits something really obscene.

	There was another case of this where the two bots were bidding over the same
obscure book and it hit a price of over $2million. This came to light when the
author of said book decided to do exactly what you did. And posted the result to
twitter.

--
         Thomas Jones-Low
Work:	xxxxxx@softstart.com