Re: [TML] Salvage Operations (and Submarines) Kelly St. Clair 29 Mar 2016 23:02 UTC

On 3/29/2016 3:52 PM, Craig Berry wrote:
> The value of hand-crafting (and other forms of direct human labor
> involvement) in an (unevenly) post-scarcity economy is well portrayed in
> Stephenson's _The Diamond Age_. The book annoys me because its plot
> hinges on one stupendously implausible detail of the setting, but other
> than that it's an amazing read. (And many of his books have that
> property. He's basically the patron saint of fridge logic.)

Tell me about it.  (No, really, I have a few candidates but I'm curious
what your big one is.)

He also likes to "stop" his novels, rather than ending them, in much the
same way that a car is stopped by running into a concrete abutment at
highway speeds.

And despite all that, I'm still a fan.  Go fig.

--
Kelly St. Clair