The Anachronistic Future Freelance Traveller (03 May 2016 22:27 UTC)
Re: [TML] The Anachronistic Future Craig Berry (03 May 2016 22:34 UTC)
Re: [TML] The Anachronistic Future Postmark (04 May 2016 00:12 UTC)
Re: [TML] The Anachronistic Future John Geoffrey (04 May 2016 09:18 UTC)
Re: [TML] The Anachronistic Future Jeffrey Schwartz (04 May 2016 14:30 UTC)
Re: [TML] The Anachronistic Future Freelance Traveller (04 May 2016 22:49 UTC)
Re: [TML] The Anachronistic Future Kelly St. Clair (04 May 2016 23:12 UTC)
Re: [TML] The Anachronistic Future Craig Berry (04 May 2016 23:22 UTC)
Re: [TML] The Anachronistic Future Bruce Johnson (04 May 2016 23:51 UTC)
Re: [TML] The Anachronistic Future Craig Berry (04 May 2016 23:57 UTC)
Re: [TML] The Anachronistic Future Kelly St. Clair (04 May 2016 23:58 UTC)
Re: [TML] The Anachronistic Future Bruce Johnson (05 May 2016 01:54 UTC)
Re: [TML] The Anachronistic Future Greg Nokes (05 May 2016 15:34 UTC)
Re: [TML] The Anachronistic Future Jeffrey Schwartz (05 May 2016 19:29 UTC)
Re: [TML] The Anachronistic Future Bruce Johnson (05 May 2016 19:51 UTC)
Re: [TML] The Anachronistic Future Jeffrey Schwartz (05 May 2016 19:58 UTC)
Re: [TML] The Anachronistic Future Bruce Johnson (05 May 2016 22:44 UTC)
Re: [TML] The Anachronistic Future Kelly St. Clair (05 May 2016 23:32 UTC)
Re: [TML] The Anachronistic Future Craig Berry (05 May 2016 23:37 UTC)
Re: [TML] The Anachronistic Future Bruce Johnson (06 May 2016 17:26 UTC)
Re: [TML] The Anachronistic Future Freelance Traveller (05 May 2016 23:33 UTC)
Re: [TML] The Anachronistic Future Freelance Traveller (04 May 2016 22:37 UTC)
Re: [TML] The Anachronistic Future Freelance Traveller (04 May 2016 22:34 UTC)
Re: [TML] The Anachronistic Future Richard Aiken (06 May 2016 18:40 UTC)

On Wed, 4 May 2016 10:29:47 -0400, you wrote to Freelance Traveller:

>If I'm understanding the question, it's "What things that are
>perfectly reasonable extrapolations will not turn out like that, or
>what things will we be totally blindsided by?"

Not necessarily, though if you want to "attack" the question from that
angle, I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with. To some
extent, that's been done in Traveller, with the early computer
descriptions, including the hand computer (which never quite got to the
smartphone level, although I think we can credit it with getting to the
level of the Apple Newton (remember those?).

>For example, the various sci-fi books where they have a bulky radio to
>contact the ship in orbit... and considering that the NSA has sats
>that intercept cell phones, a starship should be able to work with a
>smartphone held by a crew member.

Yes, those would be examples of AFtech.

>If that's the case, Traveller is chock-full of AF (grin)

>I think the biggest thing that is missing from Traveller, in the same
>way no Lensman has a smart phone, is Makers of various sorts.

This isn't so much AFtech, as a _lack_ of reasonably-extrapolable tech -
but also, remember that Traveller is starting from a viewpoint date of
about 1977, and makers or 3D printers weren't even really on the horizon
at that point.

>I keep looking at the game Eclipse Phase, and playing with the idea of
>stealing from it for details of TL14+ worlds.

Write me an article about it!

>I think body modification is going to be bigger than Traveller makes
>it out to be, but smaller than some views of the future push. Most
>people aren't going to hack themselves into walking monstrosities, but
>implanted computing will probably happen so long as it's cosmetically
>neutral. I can see the Imperium having an emergency medical dispenser
>implanted along with the computer run it, do translations, VR
>training, and enough comms to work as an emergency beacon. The
>implanting would be the equivalent of getting tons of vaccinations
>during basic that we have now.

It's already been touched on during the Rebellion era in the OTU;
different factions had differing views on when a person more-or-less
stopped being a person (with rights and freedoms and all those other
nasty things) after they started replacing body parts with robotics/
bionics/cybernetics. I agree that by and large, the OTU tended to be
more conservative than transhumanistic about it.

--
Jeff Zeitlin, Editor
Freelance Traveller

xxxxxx@freelancetraveller.com
http://www.freelancetraveller.com
http://freelancetraveller.downport.com/

®Traveller is a registered trademark of
Far Future Enterprises, 1977-2014. Use of
the trademark in this notice and in the
referenced materials is not intended to
infringe or devalue the trademark.

Freelance Traveller extends its thanks to the following
enterprises for hosting services:

CyberNET Web Hosting (http://www.cyberwebhosting.net)
The Traveller Downport (http://www.downport.com)