Re: Gaussbow? was Re: [TML] The Anachronistic Future Freelance Traveller 05 May 2016 23:41 UTC

On Thu, 5 May 2016 13:05:49 +1000, Tim <xxxxxx@little-possums.net> wrote:

>On Thu, May 05, 2016 at 01:23:09AM +0000, Phil Pugliese (via tml list) wrote:

[quoting me]

>> But that leads to another thought: What if the standard shipboard
>> "sidearm" is a pistol crossbow?

>> How about a  pistol 'gaussbow' that fires (launches?)  the same thing?

>> or maybe uses compressed gas?

>I figure that the "fragile ships" thing is a red herring -- or even an
>AF plot device in its own right.

>Starship crew members aren't going to blow a hole in the hull with any
>reasonable personal sidearm, because Traveller ship hulls are required
>to be extremely tough -- even the civilian ones.  You may damage some
>internal ship systems, but the most critical ones will have backups,
>some armouring, and be well out of the usual way anyway.

It was never about blowing holes in the hull with starships; to the
extent it was discussed at all, it was really always about blowing
through non-bulkhead internal partitions or damaging internal systems.
There's also the "looks evil" factor for a modicum of intimidation, to
some extent; crossbows, whether "handbow" or "longbow" size, just _look_
nastier than a Sig 9mm or a Winchester 30-30. Especially if you're
loaded with broadhead bolts.

--
Jeff Zeitlin, Editor
Freelance Traveller

xxxxxx@freelancetraveller.com
http://www.freelancetraveller.com
http://freelancetraveller.downport.com/

®Traveller is a registered trademark of
Far Future Enterprises, 1977-2014. Use of
the trademark in this notice and in the
referenced materials is not intended to
infringe or devalue the trademark.

Freelance Traveller extends its thanks to the following
enterprises for hosting services:

CyberNET Web Hosting (http://www.cyberwebhosting.net)
The Traveller Downport (http://www.downport.com)