Re: [TML] The Anachronistic Future Freelance Traveller 05 May 2016 23:54 UTC

On Wed, 4 May 2016 19:30:05 -0700, John Groth <xxxxxx@cox.net> wrote:

>Of course, one could go the other direction in terms of anachrotech.

>Suppose that the principle behind contragrav, reactionless thruster
>plates and inertial grav-comp *could* be discovered at any time after a
>civilization learned to harness electricity (i.e., somewhere around TL-4
>or TL-5).

>What might a TL-6 balkanized world with indigenous TL-D maneuver drives
>accomplish?

I give you Stutterwarp from 2300AD.

I give you Space: 1889, though this isn't actually _technological_
contragrav.

I also give you two stories by Harry Turtledove, "The Road Not Taken"
and its sequel, "Herbig-Haro".

I also give you "Times Without Number" by John Brunner, though here, the
low-tech discovery is time travel rather than a space drive.

--
Jeff Zeitlin, Editor
Freelance Traveller

xxxxxx@freelancetraveller.com
http://www.freelancetraveller.com
http://freelancetraveller.downport.com/

®Traveller is a registered trademark of
Far Future Enterprises, 1977-2014. Use of
the trademark in this notice and in the
referenced materials is not intended to
infringe or devalue the trademark.

Freelance Traveller extends its thanks to the following
enterprises for hosting services:

CyberNET Web Hosting (http://www.cyberwebhosting.net)
The Traveller Downport (http://www.downport.com)