Re: Gaussbow? was Re: [TML] The Anachronistic Future Freelance Traveller 06 May 2016 00:25 UTC

On Thu, 5 May 2016 17:15:33 -0700, "Kelly St. Clair" <xxxxxx@efn.org>
wrote:

>On 5/5/2016 4:41 PM, Freelance Traveller wrote:

>> It was never about blowing holes in the hull with starships; to the
>> extent it was discussed at all, it was really always about blowing
>> through non-bulkhead internal partitions or damaging internal systems.
>> There's also the "looks evil" factor for a modicum of intimidation, to
>> some extent; crossbows, whether "handbow" or "longbow" size, just _look_
>> nastier than a Sig 9mm or a Winchester 30-30. Especially if you're
>> loaded with broadhead bolts.

>The obvious, and IMO crippling downside being that you can't really
>holster them - you have to hang them off your belt (by a lanyard or
>whatever), and have them swinging and banging around and possibly
>getting damaged.

Mmmm... I can visualize, but not easily describe, a couple of ways that
you can wear/carry them without swinging and banging. I'll grant that
bringing them into play wouldn't be as fast as with a handgun, as the
positioning would end up being rather on the awkward side.

--
Jeff Zeitlin, Editor
Freelance Traveller

xxxxxx@freelancetraveller.com
http://www.freelancetraveller.com
http://freelancetraveller.downport.com/

®Traveller is a registered trademark of
Far Future Enterprises, 1977-2014. Use of
the trademark in this notice and in the
referenced materials is not intended to
infringe or devalue the trademark.

Freelance Traveller extends its thanks to the following
enterprises for hosting services:

CyberNET Web Hosting (http://www.cyberwebhosting.net)
The Traveller Downport (http://www.downport.com)