Off-Topic: Snorkel? was; Re: [TML] Battle damage Phil Pugliese 07 May 2016 21:52 UTC

Snorkels on USN subs built in the early '60's?

I thought the last non-nuclear powered subs were retired before 1970 but now it appears that the USN was still operating some many years later?

On Sat, 5/7/16, xxxxxx@comcast.net <xxxxxx@comcast.net> wrote:

 Subject: Re: [TML] Battle damage
 To: "TML" <xxxxxx@simplelists.com>
 Date: Saturday, May 7, 2016, 1:31 PM

 Hello
 shadow,

 During my time in the USN I had the
 fun experience of
 tracing wiring
 on submarines, four of which I served as
 a member of the crew, all of them
 built in the early 1960s
 after at
 least a decade or three in service. There were
 a lot of dead end cables had to be
 sorted through to find
 the cable
 you where looking. Then there are the cables
 that ran along the snorkel exhaust
 manifold that melted
 the cable
 blocking the cable run and having to route
  a whole new cable that in theory
 was changed is the
 boat's
 wiring guide. We had to use a different cable since
 the original was no longer made.

 Tom R

 From: "(via
 tml list)" <xxxxxx@simplelists.com>