Snipe Hunts for the FNG Freelance Traveller (15 May 2016 23:55 UTC)
Re: [TML] Snipe Hunts for the FNG Timothy Collinson (16 May 2016 02:09 UTC)
Re: [TML] Snipe Hunts for the FNG Timothy Collinson (16 May 2016 02:27 UTC)
Re: [TML] Snipe Hunts for the FNG Dave (16 May 2016 03:16 UTC)
Re: [TML] Snipe Hunts for the FNG Richard Aiken (16 May 2016 04:06 UTC)
Re: [TML] Snipe Hunts for the FNG Kelly St. Clair (16 May 2016 08:45 UTC)
Re: [TML] Snipe Hunts for the FNG shadow@xxxxxx (17 May 2016 12:55 UTC)
Re: [TML] Snipe Hunts for the FNG Jeffrey Schwartz (17 May 2016 13:15 UTC)
Re: [TML] Snipe Hunts for the FNG Timothy Collinson (17 May 2016 15:09 UTC)
Re: [TML] Snipe Hunts for the FNG Jeffrey Schwartz (17 May 2016 13:29 UTC)

Re: [TML] Snipe Hunts for the FNG Jeffrey Schwartz 17 May 2016 13:14 UTC

On Sun, May 15, 2016 at 7:55 PM, Freelance Traveller
<xxxxxx@freelancetraveller.com> wrote:
> What sort of snipe hunts would exist in the various interstellar
> services in the Third Imperium?

What many new Scouts don't know is that the Grav sensor on the
Type-S's survey sensor suite actually has a very fine graviton filter.
I'm not talking about the regular sensors they leave in the ship when
it goes "Detached Service", I mean the classified ones when the ship
is active duty.

That fine detail capability is great for looking for underground
tunnels, mineral deposits, etc.

Sometimes, though, when you're doing a close survey of a planet -
especially one with one or more large moons - the filter on that
sensor starts to get clogged up from excess gravitons. The gravitons
for the mineral deposit we're looking for come through, but the rest -
say from the mountain range to the north - get caught up, and
eventually they can cause the graviton filter to clog.

The only way to unclog it is to soak the filter in solvent overnight,
then wipe it down.

Since our next mission is a series of planetary surveys, I need to you
make sure we've got at least three one-liter flasks of graviton
solvent before we leave the base....

Normally, the snipe hunt goes round and round until the kid is handed
three helium party balloons (without strings), and told "be very
careful with them". Of course, trying to _carry_ them and still open
doors, etc, is more than a bit awkward....

"Why are they floating? Isn't it obvious? The gravitons that should be
pulling the flasks down are being stopped by the graviton solvent
inside them..."