Re: [TML] New toy- "switchblade" loitering munition shadow@xxxxxx 19 May 2016 00:15 UTC

On 18 May 2016 at 15:06, Phil Pugliese (via tml list) wrote:

>  True . . .
>  Three months before the planned
>  invasion date (e.g. just enough time for the information to
>  arrive at the target world as part of routine news sources),
>  the military forces of the invader promulgate a set of new
>  uniform regulations. These regs just *happen* to use a
>  popular line of commercial outdoor clothing widely available
>  on the target world as the basis for field dress uniform.
>  The various unit/rank badges are the only things which set
>  this apparel apart as military rather than commercial, with
>  said badges equipped with quick-attach/release capability
>  (ostensibly for protection against snipers picking out
>  high-rank targets). Blank badges are shipped to the force
>  members as commercial cargo (a cover company having been set
>  up which uses the blank badge shape as it's logo), to be
>  completed on site and carried at all times during the final
>  stage of invasion preparation.
>  "Bullocks! We're going to
>  be captured! Quick! Slap on your
>  badges!"
>  --
>  ---------------------------
>
> And then;
>
> "Sir, we captured another group of 5th-columnists."
>
> "You know what to do with them."
>
> "But sir, they claim that they're in uniform."
>
> "Uniform! Those look like civvies to me!"
>
> "But they do have badges on them."
>
> "Badges! What badges? I don't see any badges! First Sergeant! You see
> any badges?"
>
> "Not me sir!"
>
> "Proceed with 'disposal'."
>
> "Yes, sir!"

That's a war crime. Not too likely to get caught, but still. If any
of that commanders men talk, he's screwed. Especially if they wait
until after the war.

They will have their own problems of course. Because *technically*
they should refuse that as an illegal order. Practically, unless you
are sure most of the rest of the unit will agree with you, that would
be a really bad idea to try to invoke.

On the other hand, if if they search you and find badges on you, you
can legitimately be shot.

BTW, hiding among civilians may or may not be legal.

Firing from someplace where return fire will endanger civilians is a
war crime.

That's more a case of you being a sniper or setting an ambush. If you
are escoorting a group of civilians and come under fire, then you can
return fire legally.

Same sort of thing goes for using hospitals and the like as cover,
HQ, or the like

--
Leonard Erickson (aka shadow)
shadow at shadowgard dot com