Re: [TML] L-Hyd not necessary for jumping & misc.... Tim 20 May 2016 13:23 UTC

On Thu, May 19, 2016 at 09:57:08AM -0700,  (via tml list) wrote:
> How? I'm sayinng that you are "targetting" a specific distance in a
> specfic direction.

Given the time variance in jump exit, distance is relative to some
frame of reference.  Which one?

Though really, there's no reason to expect that "distance" is a
directly controllable variable in jump.  It's much more likely to be a
factor that depends upon a combination of lots of other parameters.
The huge messy calculations referenced in canon are how you try to
produce an exit that closely matches where you want to end up.

For example, your exit point may be primarily determined by a
particular gravitational stress tensor -- and you need to predict what
that should be at your desired exit point.  If you're jumping to
somewhere not far from the 100D limit of a target planet, then the
location corresponding to that stress tensor is going to be mostly
relative to that planet.

> The other interpretation has you somehow having a base exit point
> that is in different places depending on the duration of the jump.

That's completely impossible to avoid.  As soon as you consider
different times, you have the question of which velocity vector is
your "zero".

- Tim